What do I gift an 80 year old woman who is providing me free accommodation at her place?

I made a new friend recently in a nearby city and she's old enough to be my grandmother. I still don't know a lot about what she likes. I'll be visiting her city soon and she kindly offered to let me stay at her place. I'd like to take her a gift as a token of gratitude.

- is giving her a gift the right thing to do?

- if yes, could you offer some suggestions?

- if no, then could you let me know what I can do instead?

Thank you for all the kind and helpful answers. There are so many good answers that I cannot pick a best one.

• Ocimom

As a thank you a gift card (Visa/Master Card) or if you find out where she likes to eat and get that would be appropriate.

• Alan H

She will not want lots of material things.

A bunch of flowers would be most appreciated

Well at her age she might not need much.

Flowers are a nice gesture 

Does she read? Crafting those are ideas for a gift card or buy for her

Be helpful, clean up areas you use and ask if she needs help with anything.

• Edna

A floral arrangement or a nice bottle of wine is always a good gift, for someone you don't know well. How about a gift card to a nice department store in her town, or take her out to dinner?

You could always get her a Christmas bouquet and a gift card from her local grocery store

• Tepee

You could offer to take her for a nice dinner anywhere she chooses.

• Misty

Get her some flowers while you are there and take her out to dinner. If you are staying longer, buy her a nice sweater. Offer to buy groceries too.

If you are able maybe you could do a chore that is hard for her to do.

Many elderly cannot wash their floors or wash their windows as they desire.

When my grandparents were living they had people stay with them and appreciated the help they received from them.

• Suzy Q

Bringing a gift is definitely the right thing to do.

I would probably bring flowers (nice ones, not gas station flowers) and also offer to cook. You can discuss any dietary needs she may have when you are there, before you go grocery shopping. 

Yeah I agree with the other guy, she’ll love food. I bet she’ll be really happy if you say you’re going to cook for her.