Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

I turned 21 about a month ago how much money should I have saved ? ?

Hello ! I just turned 21 and I want to know how much money should I have saved ? And how much money did you guys have saved when you turned 21 , I live in California , thank you 

Favorite Answer

Begins this young, most people have not had time to secure a good paying job or saving money. Don't worry about it. Just do the the best you can. 

Just thinking about having a positive net worth proportionate to your age puts you ahead of 90 percent of everyone else.

There is no "should have saved at 21". No-one expects a 321 year old to have savings.

Probably none. Most people your age graduate college with a $120,000 debt.

Im sure I had less than $500.

Since you are 21 living in California with all of our fantastic universities and community colleges (that are very reasonable for the price - gee whiz 2 years of community college for free), you should have $0 and be a starving student.

- of course, that's only if you haven't already graduated.  In that case, you would be entry level and still likely have no money saved. 

• Andy C

I had $0 saved. There's no normal.

$10000 if you're 21 you would be old enough to drink and drive so with $10000 you can get out of jail by bonding yourself out.

Honestly just depends on how much you worked and what  you’ve done. When my sister was 20 she had around 20k but then spent pretty much all of it on a car, an apartment and new clothes. Now she’s 21 and saving up again. When I was 21 I had nothing not even a phone because I had just started a new job after not having one for a while.