Can I sue somebody who was convicted of murder? 10+ years later?

I have an immediate family member who was murdered first degree. Although the defendant is sitting life with no parole is it possible to sue for the pain I’ve had to live with?

Update:

The incident took place about 13 years ago

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

What outcome do you want? Do you think suing is free and even if you want to pay legal and court costs of suing and even if you won, as the person is in prison for life you will gain nothing at all apart from a very large legal bill

• 8 months ago

Ten years is probably too long, but it depends on the state.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

How do you think this inmate will pay restitution?  Give you the equivalent of commissary supplies?

• 8 months ago

Sure. As a life sentence inmate they have no money to give you, so it's entirely pointless, but sure, you could sue for wrongful death.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

You think suing is free ? free legal advice, free Court time ?  How much money do you have to throw away and get nothing back?

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It is possible to sue them for a wrongful death, but if they are in prison they will have little if any assets so you will spend money and receive nothing back.

• 8 months ago

How can you sue for damages when the person is incarcerated, has no income or assets? Statute of limitations on a suit may be long past, too.

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

What are you going to sue him for? Ten cartons of cigarettes?

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Civil suits abide by statutes of limitations just like crimes do.  You had a 5 year window to sue from the date of the conviction. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.