Does Target discriminate against “older” employees..?

I am 30 years old.., my nephew is 18 and we both applied at the same Target location and he got a call the next day. It’s been almost 2 weeks and no call for me, even though I filled out the “resume” form and he put “no experience”.. I went to that Target and it’s mostly teenagers working there.

They hire young so people so they can pay less . 

My local target has cashiers of all ages - some are senior citizens (or just look like it).

What is your backgound?  Maybe you have worked somewhere in the past that Target has found is difficult to re-train people from (i.e. like maybe Macy's does something a different way than Target and Target has found that people who worked at Macy's never get the hang of working at Target).

Or did you put down a specific salary requirement on your application, whereas our nephew will take entry level minimum wage?

Maybe, but it doesn't matter, because discriminating against 30 year old employees because of their age is totally legal. Age discrimination is illegal only if the victim is 40 or older. Ironically, the age discrimination law itself discriminates base d on age.

• Scott

Thirty isn't "old". Nobody here knows why you weren't hired.

We do same. Young blood runs n can make be made a fool faster than 25+. Best option if u don't get call, let him get hired, and let him recommend you.

• You're not that old. I was older then you are when I was working in retail and managed to get jobs. Even then there were employees older then I was working in the store. I was 38 when I stopped working in retail, not because I thought I was too old but because I didn't like the job any more. 

Employers shouldn't discriminate against your age. If you're noticing that then maybe apply else where. Also I think you should try applying on line, they can't discriminate against you until they meet you in person.

• Judith

You are not an "older" employee - older is age 50 or more.  If they aren't calling you it has nothing to do with your age.