Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

Should I talk to my parents if my 11 year old sister - who has anxiety, keeps breaking this particular school rule?

My 5th grade sister only wants to play with kindergarten girls because it makes her comfortable. The school doesn’t let kids play with children more than 1-2 years apart. Even the principal told her that there’s a 2 year limit when it comes to who she’s allowed to play with. Lots of schools have rules where they try to make kids stay within their own age category (no friends more than 2 years apart). My sister keeps wandering over to the kindergarten playground. I know she’s socially awkward for her age though. 

If you're in the same school so you're witnessing this of course you should talk to your parents about it. Whatever treatment this child is getting isn't quite working so they'll need to let her doctors know this.

If you're concerned, talk with the principal and ask him or her if they feel this is important enough to bring up with your parents. Maybe the principal could discuss with your parents if you aren't comfortable doing it

Your sister needs to see a counslor or therapist.

i would just leave her alone, shes just playing with them

If you approach your parents voicing genuine concern for your sister, it should go OK, and be helpful. If you sound like you are telling them to get her in trouble, it won't work.