Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Should I leave my parents?

My parents cant admit they do anything wrong. They take everything so to heart. That is something thats just normal in my culture that I have to suffer through as a first  gen teen. I had a fight with my mom today because I was at a high school conference, and her and my dad forced me to get out of the car. They refused to drop me off where everyone else was and told me to suck it up when I said I was the first one there. I had to walk 15 minutes to get to where my group was. I cried because the whole time they were yelling at me. I was finally having fun and told my mom to pick me up at 10 when everyone else was leaving. She kept spamming me so my phone would die, begging me to come home earlier, and i finally agreed because my phone died and I was left stranded anyways. She later made it seem like I wanted to leave early, when I said 3 different times I wanted to stay. She kept going on about how she makes so much “sacrifices” for me. She starts cursing at me in another language and blocked my number. Every time i try to have a civil convo about how I feel she slaps herself. I just want to do what everyone else gets to do. My dad just thinks im really bratty. I cant live in a house knowing my parents feel this way towards me. Im thinking about living with my aunt. Should I?

Unless you're 18 you really can't just leave your parents' home. But if you are an adult still in high school and you have some other relative you could live with you might try that.

• Edna

How old are you, kid? - 8 maybe?  You "cried" the whole way because your parents didn't drop you off at the exact spot you wanted them to, and you had to walk for a whole 15 minutes?  Really now - that was pretty juvenile behavior!

Unless you're at least 18, you can't move out of your parents' home and go live with your aunt - not unless your parents give their signed consent for you to do so and your aunt agrees to accept temporary guardianship of you, with all the parental responsibilities that guardianship entails.  

Yes, you should go.

you might need your mom's permission to go live with your aunt

Research "Narcissistic parents". Then move in with your aunt. Hopefully she's not the same way

If you're aunt is willing to take you and your parents agree then you can move in with her, but you can't just do as you please. If they don't agree and you took them to court over it, you wouldn't win because they aren't doing anything wrong, you are. You act very entitled and ungrateful. You're lucky you have parents that will run you about in their car. I had to catch trains and buses. Sounds to me like you need to grow up and start acting your age and no your shoe size. Don't ask them to run you around anymore. Get yourself places you need to be.

• Amber

Had to walk for 15 minutes? Wow! They sound really cruel from what you've told me. Yes, you should definitely leave. Get out as soon as possible. Then maybe you'll begin to realize how much they wipe your back side. You told your Mum to pick you up? How about asked her and be grateful when she said yes. My Mother would have told me to get the damn bus if I acted like you did. News flash you are bratty and I'm not surprised they feel this way towards you. One day you'll be grateful for them, trust me. 

sit down with your parents and tell them how you feel. if you cannot come to terms maybe you should move in with you aunt. family counseling   is another option. good luck.