Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

why in social situations I prefer to ask questions about people I am taking to then talking about myself? do I lack confidence and worth?

that is usually how I start a conversation or get one going is by asking questions about their life or talking about things not related to personal issues but life questions relating to people or society

usually when someone asks about me, I quickly make simplistic answer the suddenly ask them the same thing that they asked about me 

I'm genuinely interested in the stories of others, and not reluctant to share my own experience and background. I often follow your pattern, because most people would rather talk about themselves than almost anything else. I've had what I think is a really interesting life, working in a leper colony and for a company probably owned by organized crime, but I don't get to know other people by talking about me.

• martin

If you ask a person about himself or herself, they will think you're interested in getting to know them.

That could be it, subconciously. Are you genuinely inquiring of them or just want the focus off of you?

• Murzy

Asking Qs make you a good listener.