Josh asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 months ago

Can I join the Military(coast guard) with scoliosis?

Its 2019. I found out that I had scoliosis in 2013. I am in very good shape. I can bend all types of ways. I can run, jump, ECT.

I do have a question. Is there anyway I can get a wavier for my scoliosis if its past the requirements.

For example these are the notes from my medical records:

Here is a copy of the report:

AP and lateral thoracic and lumbar spine

Indication: Scoliosis

Comparison: 1/9/2013

Findings: There is 24 degrees of thoracic levoscoliosis. The apex is

at T5. There is 45 degrees of thoracolumbar dextroscoliosis with apex

at T12. There are no vertebral anomalies. There is no significant

pelvic tilt. Paraspinal soft tissues appear unremarkable.

Impression: Scoliosis. No significant interval change since the prior

exam.AP and lateral thoracic and lumbar spine.

The rules of military as far as google: "It interferes with the proper wearing of a uniform or military equipment. ... - There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, or kyphosis and lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method is disqualifying for military service. It interferes with the proper wearing of a uniform or military equipment. ... - There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, or kyphosis and lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method is disqualifying for military service."

• Jason

Nope. The 45-degree measurement exceeds the allowable standard. There is no guidance in the regulation that permits waiving curvature beyond those identified in the standard -- meaning it is not waivable. I'm afraid the military will not be an option.

• Mrsjvb

nothing your civilian doctor says matters nor will it be considered when determining whether or not you are eligible for a waiver or if one will be granted.  

severe back issues are rarely waived and considering the CG  is pretty damn physical while at sea, don't hold your breath

How many times are you going to ask this question? I told you, the base it on degree of the curve and range of motion.   You need to talk to a recruiter and MEPS.  It does not matter what YOUR DOCTOR says,  it is MEPS that will make the determination.