Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 months ago

How can I tell my mom that her birthday gift for me didn't work out?

My birthday was a couple months ago and she gave me a t shirt that I really liked but was about 2 sizes too small. It was a medium and I wear a men's XL. Well, I'll be visiting her again next week and she wants to wear the shirt because she hasn't seen me in it. Now I can get into it but it's skin tight and doesn't cover all of me. And I'm guessing that's not what she wants to see. I never had the balls to tell her I was too far for the size she got me even though I can't believe she thought I wore a medium in the first place.

Obviously it's my fault for not saying anything and for being a man-cow but what do I tell her? I have it hanging up where I see it daily because it's from my favorite TV show and I like the shirt. Would it be ok to tell her I just don't want to accidentally stain it or rip it when wearing it?

She'd probably be totally fine with you asking if there's a way to exchange this for the right size. I doubt she's so stuck on you wearing the exact article that she'd rather see it stretched than just take it back to get a bigger one.

You can always give it to someone else.Don't tell her anything unless she asks.If she does ask,just say that you couldn't fit into it and thus gave it away.

• denise

Could you wear it open with a T.shirt under it? tell her that you like to wear it as an overshirt.

• Jerry

Tell her it was 2 sizes too small but you love it as a wall decoration. But if she wants to get your shirts you can wear, they need to be XL. 

• drip

Tell her the truth! do not compound it with a lie.

Tell her I should of said something right away, but I am an XL mom. I just love the shirt, it is from my favorite show.  

Perhaps if you had let her know when she gave it to you it could of been exchanged for you size. 

And do you want her to keep buying you Medium shirt?! 

But geez don’t lie about it

• g

Or you could simply tell her it's too small, so she doesnt buy you anything else that size.

Can you afford to hunt around, maybe even on the internet, and obtain that shirt in your correct size? You can even level with your mom and let her know you liked it so well you got one in a larger size.

Don't try to wear the too-small one. She'll know, and she'll be disappointed when she sees that her gift didn't fit.

• honestly just tell her not to buy you things like clothes cause your weight fluctuates clothes are bad giftsanways suggest a git card maybe say it over text.

Buy the same exact shirt but get one in Men’s XL. She’ll never notice, hopefully. It’s kinda rude to your mom if you told her it was the wrong size, so just pretend like she got it right. And next time, try to go shopping with her, so she knows your size.