Cold air intake vs air filter?

And do cars use both or do they only require one?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The air filter is IN the cold air intake. Some cars don't use the term, but all ENGINES require a filtered air source for combustion.

• 1 month ago

All engines require an air filter. A cold air intake is standard on all modern vehicles

• 1 month ago

Every car and truck comes with a perfectly good CAI from the factory. it's just plastic with a replaceable air filter instead of a shiny chrome CAI with a cleanable air filter. It's not only a waste of money but the cleanable air filter actually ruins MAF sensors when the oil on them migrates to the wires in the MAF sensor. Save your money.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Every modern vehicle comes with a factory installed cold air intake, meaning it draws air from outside of the engine compartment. Every modern air intake system has an air filter to keep particulates from entering the intake system. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Cold air intakes are a joke.You need an air filter.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I never could figure that logic out.  What burns in the engine is gasoline vapor which happens when the gas evaporates into gasoline smell.  So the hotter it is, the faster the gasoline boils into vapor. Having a Cold air intake keeps the gasoline liquid for longer(meaning it enters the cylinders as a liquid. and is pushed out the exhaust pipe to burn in the exhaust system, not doing work and exploding and pushing down the piston for a power stroke.  That fuel now in the exhaust pipe burns outside of the engine and produces black smoke as there is not enough oxygen in the exhaust pipe to continue with clean burning.

.  Also in both cases you still need an air filter.  

Cold air intake just means a scoop to catch the cold air and jam it into the motor so I am pretty sure they have an aircleaner. 

• Dan
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Modern cars have fuel injection that sprays atomized fuel either directly into the port right behind a hot intake valve or directly into the combustion chamber as the piston is on the compression stroke. Heat is not required but cold intake air is denser and carries more oxygen.

• Jason
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I prefer just keeping the stock air filter. Those cold air intakes don't really do anything for performance and cost way too much. They don't filter the air nearly as good as a stock air filter which is the whole point of an air filter. I've noticed people who use cold air intakes will have more carbon on the throttle plate and sometimes causes stalling. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.