dbm77
Lv 5
dbm77 asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 10 months ago

Shouldn't an 18 SEER heat pump be warmer than a 14?

I replaced my Trane 14 SEER w/ single speed fan with a Trane 18 SEER w/ two speed fan.  It doesn't have any trouble holding setpoint on cold days and seems to run less than the old unit.  Yet the air is noticeably cooler. I thought a higher SEER unit would get even more heat out of the air.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

SEER refers to energy efficiency. It has NOTHING to do with temperature.

• 10 months ago

No. The SEER number just tells you how efficient a given system is at producing a specific amount of heat or cooling. The thermostat determines how warm or cold the house is.

• 10 months ago

not true. the higher SEER is more efficient, not necessarily more powerful. 18 SEER units have the ability to run at two speeds [or continuously variable -- not sure about TRANE name brand] ... could be it has only had to run at low speed so far

Source(s): grampa
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

The SEER is a measure of energy efficiency.  It has nothing to do with making the room hotter or cooler.  A higher SEER only means a lower energy bill.

Thermostat might have an issue or not calibrated properly.  Get a digital thermometer and check the room temperature and compare it to what is showing on the thermostat.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.