dbm77
dbm77 asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 10 months ago

Shouldn't an 18 SEER heat pump be warmer than a 14?

I replaced my Trane 14 SEER w/ single speed fan with a Trane 18 SEER w/ two speed fan.  It doesn't have any trouble holding setpoint on cold days and seems to run less than the old unit.  Yet the air is noticeably cooler. I thought a higher SEER unit would get even more heat out of the air.

SEER refers to energy efficiency. It has NOTHING to do with temperature.

No. The SEER number just tells you how efficient a given system is at producing a specific amount of heat or cooling. The thermostat determines how warm or cold the house is.

not true. the higher SEER is more efficient, not necessarily more powerful. 18 SEER units have the ability to run at two speeds [or continuously variable -- not sure about TRANE name brand] ... could be it has only had to run at low speed so far

Source(s): grampa

The SEER is a measure of energy efficiency.  It has nothing to do with making the room hotter or cooler.  A higher SEER only means a lower energy bill.

Thermostat might have an issue or not calibrated properly.  Get a digital thermometer and check the room temperature and compare it to what is showing on the thermostat.