Why would drinking wine before bed cause insomnia? I have been drinking at night for years with no problem sleeping.?

I doubt it, if you're not all drunk when you go to bed. A glass of wine is supposed to be good for a person. But being drunk disrupts our sleep

• I don't get drunk and the waking up in the middle of the night and not getting back to sleep just started a few days ago.

• CB

Red wine is the worst for making sleep not happen - or going to sleep then waking up a couple hours later and not going back to sleep for many hours. Not drinking wine - problem solved. 

• CB

I guess my point is that it takes a lot less red wine to disturb sleep compared to other alcohol. Too much alcohol (any type) will interrupt sleep though. 

You can do something harmful for a long time without noticing what it's doing. Then suddenly it becomes noticeable. It was doing the same thing all along...it just took a while for the damage to reach the point of noticeability.

• This makes some sense,but doesn't apply to this problem.

It seems to me that you do not understand what insomnia is. Were you diagnosed with insomnia? Just cuz you weren't able to sleep for one night doesn't mean you have insomnia

• This has been going on for several nights,not just once.