CrazyCatLady asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

How to adjust your previous cat to a new kitten?

On Thanksgiving, someone dumped 6 kittens and a mom cat in our yard. We have found homes for 5 kittens, but the mom and other kitten (Apricot) are still with us. We are planning to keep Apricot. She is a very smart, playful, and calm kitten. We are also putting the mom cat into the catch and release program. My current cat, Indy, is two years old. She is an aggressive cat and regularly bites us. She also hunts and has significantly lowered our bird population. Apricot and Indy met quite suddenly. We had the kittens in the house for adoption meetings and did not know that Indy was in the house at the time (she hides very well). Since then, the two have come in contact quite frequently and they become very stressed and conflict. Does anyone have any tips on how to adjust my cat to this situation? The kitten is not bothered by Indy's presence, but Indy is greatly bother by Apricot's. Any suggestions you have will help!

• PR

Put the kitten in the bathroom for a couple weeks, with it's needs. Get the older cat spayed which may help with aggression.

If the mother cat was"dumped" in your yard the assumption is she is was a house pet. The catch-and release program is designed for feral cats, and NOT for house pets. 

Feral means the cat is wild, not socialized, and fears humans. House cats are usually unable to care for themselves outside, and die outdoors.

If the mother cat is friendly and used to humans, she deserves a name and a home. There are plenty of people looking for cats or kittens. Either find a home for the mother cat, or take her to an animal rescue league where they will find a good home for her. 

You can find rescue leagues at pet supply stores on weekends, bring her there. Do not call first but just show up with her.

It would be a terrible turn of fate if the kittens found homes, but mother cat was put outside. 

• CrazyCatLady2 months agoReport

Thank you for informing me of the catch and release program! I will look into my options. I cannot give her to a local shelter as the intake fee is too high for me to pay at the moment. She is currently an "outside cat." We are keeping her in a shed with a heater until we can find her a home.

I do hope you had these kittens disease tested for FIV and FeLV before you brought them into your home? If not your cat is now infected.

Besides diseases you should also NEVER thrust cats together since they can be very territorial. The kittens and mother cat should have been in a separate room away from your existing cat. They should GRADUALLY be introduced.

As antisocial as your cat sounds this sounds like a cat that may never get along with other cats. Give the mother cat and kitten away and work on socializing your ignored cat.

Horrible you handed these kittens out unaltered.

• CrazyCatLady2 months agoReport

I hope that you realize how rude, unhelpful, and innapropriate your comment is. Best wishes for the future.