Did sonatas in the twentieth century and romantic era still have basso continuo?

I was wondering if sonatas that were written in both the twentieth century and romantic era still contained basso continuo. I know in the baroque era it did, so was it still considered to be part of this style later on?

No.  But . .  .  in jazz and popular music, the *concept* is still there, in a fashion.  In a rock or jazz band, the chord symbols are often given above the melody, in a lead sheet.  The bassist, pianist/keyboardist, and rhythm guitarist take that notation, and decide what bass notes they wish to play, and what chords, in what position or inversion, and what rhythm.  As long as they do nothing *wrong* - this leaves them a whole lot of latitude to do many thing *right*.  So this is still a facile way of communicating musical information in a sketch, and allowing the players to play what they find appropriate.  This NOT NOT NOT TAB - a system that tells you where to park your fingers on the guitar neck, and is not a whole lot of help at all, unless you know the song/music already.  One step away from those keyboard programs that light up the keys . . . stick fingers here . . .

Source(s): Despite my classical education, I still can comp from a lead sheet easily - something that intimidates my colleagues that have far more advanced piano *technique* than I do.

No, that dropped out in the Classical era.