Why am I dizzy and shaky ?

It happened first about 2 months ago I felt like I had vertigo for a few days than I was shaking mostly inside my body but If i heald out my hands you could see a little shaking. It went away and now it's back I'm shaky and dizzy and unbalanced if I look up and down or sit up I feel as if I'm going to fall for a minute it sounds like vertigo but I feel it maybe something more because of the shaking. I went to the emergency room and after a CT of my brain and ekg of my heart and a chest xray they found nothing. I have tried dramamine and hospital gave me zofran nothing seems to help. The more I move the more shaky I am.

2 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    ok.. first i want you to understand few things: the emergency room ER ( or accidents and emergency A&E department) mainly deals with emergency cases (hence the name).. and.. if this is not an emergency, they will make sure that this is not an emergency before sending you back home - that's basically the priority..

    the follow-up investigations must be carried-out by the local General Practitioner's GP clinic (or by the Family Doctor's clinic - what's called in other countries).. unless of course they've determined that you could lose a life, an organ or a limb of which they would admit you into the hospital immediately or to the observation bay/ward at the ER..

    if they discharge you from the ER, they should at least advise you to go and see a GP at a local clinic, if the problem remains.. my hospital would give you a referral letter to go to the Family Doctor (GP) in an early appointment..

    if they did, that's good!!.. if not, then i think they simply presumed that you knew what to do next.. so go ahead and book an early appointment at a GP/family doctor's clinic nearby..


    a GP sees more cases of dizziness and vertigo than an average doctor at the ER, so i would dare to say that they have more expertise in those areas.. he/she will initiate basic investigations like blood and MRI..

    - CT are excellent to look at bones and at bleeds but they are not very good looking at the brain in general.. that's MRI's job.. it is the difference between taking a photo with an old camera from the 1920s and with a 2019 DSLR camera..


    in the course of his/her investigations, the GP will start trying out medications until he/she finds the one that is right for you.. meanwhile, some blood investigations may take days to complete..

    he/she may set you up with an MRI appointment, but only if needed - because MRI appointments are expensive and may not offer much value if the blood investigation strongly suggest a different diagnosis..

    and he/she may refer you to a specialist depending on what you have.. for example: most cases of dizziness and vertigo are referred to ENT doctor/surgeon (Otolaryngologist - aka. ear, nose & throat ENT specialist).. some may be referred to an Internist and/or to an Endocrinologist (specialists in internal medicine and hormone-related illnesses).. some to a Neurologist (a neuro-surgeon).. and some to psychiatrist (specialists in mental health disorders)..


    Vertigo is a term often used incorrectly.. the feeling of vertigo happens when you close your eyes and you lay on your bed, soon you will feel that the bed and the entire room starts to move around and around - that is vertigo.. and such vertigo is often associates with dizziness and sometimes a high-pitch sound (called Tinnitus) and vomiting (like being on a boat for so long journey)..

    many vertigo cases are related to problems in the inner ear.. the inner most part of the ear, contains an organ responsible for the sense of motion and balance, called the vestibular system.. this system tells your brain whether you are moving or not, and whether you head is tilted even when your eyes are closed and in a dark room without windows..

    just like any sensor on a machine or a device.. vestibular system can give false data if it is diseased or broken, giving you the sensation of movement when there are none..

    such problems, can be solved by an experience GP or Family Doctor, but such cases are often referred to an ENT doctor/surgeon to further investigation..

    this ENT specialist would first check your hearing in front of large device Audiometry device; and if he/she is not satisfied with the results, he/she would recommend an MRI that takes far better pictures than a CT scan..

    almost 80-90% of such cases, the ENT specialist would not find anything wrong in your vestibular system.. and he/she may refer you back to a psychologist or to a psychiatrist (a psychiatrist is a medical doctor who is legally allowed to prescribe medications)..

    80-90% Vertigo cases is related to stress and the lack of sleep or rest..

    emotional stress, physical stress or both, can explain your problems.. and it may be a good idea to start Google or to Yahoo-search right now for 'techniques to relieve stress'..

    also Vitamin B complex (B1, B6 & B12) can help a lil bit - you can get some Neurobion (vitamin B complex) at most pharmacies without doctors' prescription..

    so seek help at a local clinic and..

    and all the best..

  • Mercy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    Many possibilities; see your Dr.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.