Jesse
Jesse asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 8 months ago

If you’re using loctite on firearms is it possible to unscrew when need be?

Yes. But it depends on what kind you used. If you are dealing with the RED then it is as close to welded as you can get. You will have to heat it up hot to undo it. I would read up on it before trying anything.

You want to use low-strength Loctite 222 (purple) on small screws (under 1/4") or hardware that will be disassembled often.

Loctite 243 (primerless blue) can be used with larger screws and nuts (1/4" to 3/4") that have oil contamination and/or can stand up to higher torquing without being damaged.

You ONLY use Loctite 263 (primerless red) on fasteners you never plan on removing without the application of high heat. This stuff is intended to be permanent.

Loctite 425 can be used on plastic hardware.

If you decide to use the Permatex brand of thread lockers, be careful of what you get and read the packaging carefully. Just because it's the same color as Loctite, it may or may not require the use of a surface prep activator before applying the threadlock.

Source(s): Heavy construction equipment mechanic - I use this stuff every day and have to know the proper applications for each.
  • SM

Jesse, you can use loctite, permatex, or a couple of other items on the market to secure screws on your firearm. Being old school I've been using regular old clear nail polish for over 40 years on scope screws, tripper screws, and those pesky little securing screws that Ithaca and Browning like to use. The nice part is all I have to do is take a little finger nail polish remover on a Qtip and soften the stuff and I've never stripped a screw. 

Loctite comes in several strengths.  Blue is common for parts you might want to remove later on this year.  Red is for parts you don't expect to remove for a long time.  Both of them will ease up and release with heat.  Keep in mind - some parts on guns, Loctite has no business being there because the parts need to expand and contract with heat - like AR-15/M16/M4 barrel installation.  

There are better thread locking compounds than Loctite.

After twisting the head from a cap screw, I learned from that.

Rockwell uses permatex, that works to both ends, screws don't back out and can be removed without damage to the screw or tool.

Loctite is more popular but should be semi permanent.

There are different mixes of each, get the right one.

• Matt

Yes. The lock tight will simply prevent the screws from walking out. You can still remove the screws when you want to, it just wont be as easy.

• L.N.

Use blue if you want to take it apart again, red if you don't.

Yes there are several strengths of it. I have two.  (Red and Blue)

Yep.  heat releases both red and blue thread locker.

• Rick

Loctite is available in differing degrees of strength so something can assembled permanently or to be removable.  The differing products are color coded for strength.