What is the speaker called that is connected to a microphone?

Looking to buy a microphone and speaker setup for singing that I can use in conjunction with my electric guitar. I don't know what the speaker for the microphone is called.

5 Answers

  • 10 months ago

    To work with both a guitar and microphone at the same time, you want a "PA System" (or Portable PA system) - you do not say where or how it will be used, so the requirements are somewhat vague.

    [PA = Public address].

    Have a look though these for examples, then search for best prices on anything that looks suitable:


    Check that whichever you consider has inputs for both guitar and microphone at the same time..

  • Tony B
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    Connecting a microphone (or instrument) directly to a speaker won't produce any sound. The microphone (or instrument) must be connected to an amplifier. The output of the amplifier is then connected to a speaker.

    The only exception would be what are known as “active speakers” or”powered speakers” which are simply an amplifier and speaker in the same box (like a combo amp).

  • 10 months ago

    It's called an amplifier.

  • 10 months ago

    You don't want to connect a mic to a speaker (except for tiny amateur rigs with active speakers)

    Normal signal path:

    Mic --> Amp --> Speaker

    Just like for your guitar:

    Gtr. --> Amp --> Speaker

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago


Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.