Terribly itchy skin?

I woke up one morning and was itching my skin like crazy. It felt like my arms, legs, neck, and back were on fire and wouldn’t go away. It got so bad that these weird clusters of little bumps would appear on my skin and stay there for a good 30 minutes. I just need to figure out what the heck is going on with me. 

Keep in mind that I’m not allergic to anything.

• martin

In December, weather gets cold, furnaces crank up, and skin dries out. The itchiness can be cooled by any ordinary skin lotion. Put it on, stop scratching, and in a minute you should feel better.

• Speed

That sounds very like hives, which is an allergic reaction, whether you know of allergies or don't.

It can be something like your laundry detergent not fully rinsing out of the clothes, a new soap, or a response to food you ate, but stress and cold are triggers for hives in some people.

Here's a few things that should help.

Shower in water that's comfortably warm, not hot.

Use a moisturizer where you have dry skin, because it can start the itch cycle.

Take Benedryl or apply Benedryl gel to itching areas--but not both.

Resist scratching if you possibly can.

Scratch around rather than on the worst itching areas.

An Aveeno or other colloidal oatmeal bath can offer some itch relief.

Did you change laundry detergents recently?

Visit your doctor as soon as you can. They’ll prescribe something for it.