I want to ask you a question about grammar.?

Please take a look at the conversation first.

"Excuse me. I couldn’t help noticing the writing in your book. Is that Chinese?"

"No, it’s Japanese."

"Oh, Japanese! It looks a lot like Chinese."

"That’s probably because Japanese writing originally came from China. See ... we call symbols like these “Chinese characters,” even when we use them in Japanese. But there are differences as well."

Question:

Is the word "because" in the conversation above used as a conjunction? If so, is there anything left out after "probably"?

• Pontus

because, even in the Oxford dictionary, is always a conjunction.

because of - can function as a preposition (the two words together).

The confusion comes because subordinating clauses and prepositional phrases can sometimes function as adverbs.  But it's the phrase or the clause that is the adverb and not the word because.

In that sentence above, the subordinating clause "because Japanese writing ...came...China" functions as an adverb, answering the question "why". That's probably - is the main clause.  The subordinating clause modifies the verb "is", thus functioning as an adverbial clause.

because - is the subordinating conjunction. It joins two clauses together (each clause has a subject & a verb.  For the subordinating clause, the simple subject and verb are: writing & came. 

There is no source stating that because is sometimes an adverb.  It can make a clause adverbial, but is itself a conjunction.  Some people get confused on that point.

Source(s): studied linguistics and English grammar; almost became an English teacher, but chose French (and math) instead. I speak three other languages. I am very familiar with how conjunctions and adverbs work, in all of them.

it sounds okay to me

"Because" in this instance, is an adverb, not a conjunction.  "That’s probably because Japanese writing originally came from China" is a perfectly good sentence and needs no additions or omissions.

The distinction between the adverb and the conjunction is small. Most English speakers would not consider the part of speech in use but would just use "because" in the way they have always done without actually knowing the part of speech they were using..

You can get a good description of the difference between "because" as an adverb and as a  conjunction in the Oxford English Dictionary and if you want to understand it properly I suggest you look it up at the library.

It’s all correct don’t worry