Was I ripped off? ?

I brought my car into the dealership for service and was charged $238 for 45 minutes of labor, excluding the cost of parts. Additionally, I was charged $43 for shop supplies, which I’m not sure is for exactly, because it’s separate from parts and labor. And the invoice doesn’t specify what it’s for. I feel I’ve been ripped off. Have I? 

Yes, I always avoid dealers. I usualy buy from the source. Meth is cheaper that way!

As for car parts, no idea, should probably ask on a forum or something.

Source(s): Mate dave down street

Ryan, it sounds high to me. Always avoid dealerships when you can. Prices there  are always higher.

• F

$238 for 45 min is $320 per hour. Unless you have a Rolls Royce or some  sort of supercar, I'd say you were ripped off. I would say $100 an hour was about average. Shop supplies is paper towels and swarfega, again $43 is high.

Also "environmental charge" is now applied. Garages always had to pay to get rid of oil etc so this is just another way of extracting more money.

That is where the term "stealership" comes from.

• zipper

No! That is shop rags, speed dry, their hand cleaner if they needed to use a bit of liquid wrench.  That sounds about right, your rich stop crying about the spilled milk!

yes, you shouldn't have been charged higher than 45 for a small auto check and 79 for diagnostic

Source(s): 2002 rates!!!

The labor rate sounds high, but dealerships always are.

Shop supplies is an added charge to cover things that are not easily tracked, such as rags, small amounts of grease, etc.

We need to know exactly what the dealer did in services to your car.

Had car serviced by dealership = rip-off.

very simple.

Don't know it you were ripped off or not as we don't what kind of work was done.