Was I ripped off? ?

I brought my car into the dealership for service and was charged $238 for 45 minutes of labor, excluding the cost of parts. Additionally, I was charged $43 for shop supplies, which I’m not sure is for exactly, because it’s separate from parts and labor. And the invoice doesn’t specify what it’s for. I feel I’ve been ripped off. Have I? 

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

Yes, I always avoid dealers. I usualy buy from the source. Meth is cheaper that way!

As for car parts, no idea, should probably ask on a forum or something.

Source(s): Mate dave down street
  • 10 months ago

Ryan, it sounds high to me. Always avoid dealerships when you can. Prices there  are always higher.

• F
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

$238 for 45 min is $320 per hour. Unless you have a Rolls Royce or some  sort of supercar, I'd say you were ripped off. I would say $100 an hour was about average. Shop supplies is paper towels and swarfega, again $43 is high.

Also "environmental charge" is now applied. Garages always had to pay to get rid of oil etc so this is just another way of extracting more money.

• 10 months ago

That is where the term "stealership" comes from.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

No! That is shop rags, speed dry, their hand cleaner if they needed to use a bit of liquid wrench.  That sounds about right, your rich stop crying about the spilled milk!

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

yes, you shouldn't have been charged higher than 45 for a small auto check and 79 for diagnostic

Source(s): 2002 rates!!!
  • 10 months ago

The labor rate sounds high, but dealerships always are.

Shop supplies is an added charge to cover things that are not easily tracked, such as rags, small amounts of grease, etc.

• 10 months ago

We need to know exactly what the dealer did in services to your car.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Had car serviced by dealership = rip-off.

very simple.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Don't know it you were ripped off or not as we don't what kind of work was done. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.