Help me hook my laptop to my old sony tv?

So my hdmi to rca cable came in the mail today and i was excited to try to display my laptop screen on to my aunts old tv but eveb tho i hooked up my laptop hdmi output to the tv its still not working even when i change the channels its not working and i am really disappointed.  My laptop is a thinkpad and the tv...idk what version the tv is but it is a really old sony tv. If someone could help me with this I'd be so so happy. I would like to send pictures but yahoo is being stupid right now

Hi Tandis. You purchased just a cable with some connectors on the ends.

What You NEEDED was a converter box that changes the high definition video from the laptop into a low definition video the older TV set can show.

This is what to search for on Amazon, lots of them come in around $10(US), & You can file the cable You have into the PC parts drawer.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+to+av&i=electronic...

When You do hook up the laptop to the TV set, be sure to start with the TV on & set to the RCA / AV / AUX input so the computer will know it's expected to use the TV set as a display also when You turn it on.

If nothing shows up then, You might need to cycle through the Fn key options on the laptop for external displays, which Youtube can tell you how to do for Your specific Thinkpad model.

G'Luck!!!

• Lv 7

yeah, those devices never work. they are completely different signal types. you can slap ANY connector on the end of a wire, but that doesn't mean it will work how you expect. certainly not without a signal conversion box inbetween.

you got scammed. ask for a refund, if you dare...

The TV will need the 3 RCA phono jacks and a selector for external input.

Older yet, you need an HDMI to NTSC modulator, then select channel 3 or 4.

Given you have the HDMI to RCA, Modulators with RCA input are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-RF-Modulator-CR...

sounds as if the tv is looking for input from the tv tuner, not from the auxiliary input. check the tv's controls

• Rayal

Changing the channels is not what you want to do.

Plug in your HDMI to RCA cable and use the TV menu to switch to the RCA input. 

In your computer display control panel change the computer display to either mirror or extend. Mirror just puts what is on your computer display on the TV.  Extend make it so your mouse will travel between the two monitors and you can move windows between the two monitors. 

If your TV doesn't have a way to switch between inputs you may have to find some other way to connect or get a break out box . 

I'm afraid, my friend, that you also need a video converter box as HDMI is a digital signal and RCA ports are analogue [analog, if you happen to be one of my American cousins].

The following Amazon.com webpage shows some of the different types of HDMI to RCA converter boxes that are available.