Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

My mom took my kitten and gave her to her boss, I want her back, but they refuse to give her to me. What do I do?

I'm currently homeless, and had my tent stolen a little while ago, therefore leading me to ask my mom to provide my cat with a roof over her head for a couple days. She agreed to take her in, but quickly after told me that both her friend that I'm familiar with and her bosses wanted my cat. I refused at first, considering I'm very close to my kitty. She said they would pay me, but I still refused. I ended up talking to her friend, and we agreed that she could stay on his farm until I am able to get into stable housing. Upon telling my mother my decision however, she told me that she had already given MY cat to HER boss. This has been very emotionally draining on me, and life is already very difficult. I was kicked out the house when I was 15 by the same woman who has managed to take away so much more than just a roof over my head. She took my animal. I paid for her to get her rabies shot, but could not afford the rest. I'm thinking about calling the police, but I'm worried that they might not allow me to have her back considering they paid for the rest of her shots. I've spoken to my brother, and the way they're making her live breaks my heart. Shes forced to sleep in the barn while their other animals are allowed into their large home. She is not called Neptune anymore, and my mother's bosses wife has even lectured my little brother on calling her Neptune. I dont know what to do, and I'm desperate. Please help.

• Ken S

As a kitten has the best chance of getting adopted and if dumped at 3 years old has a better chance of being put to sleep aka killed because there are too many homeless cats, anybody else would be a better choice for a home then you as cats are a 20 year responsibility and you don't know where you will be in a month let alone in 10 years. I personally don't believe your mother gave it to her boss and believe she probably gave it to a shelter, it stills gives this kitten a chance for a real life

Why would you give your kitty to a woman that won't even take her own daughter in? Your "mother" & "brother" have no love or empathy for you. You can't do anything about that. First, get yourself off the streets. Get yourself cleaned up & a place of your own. Others have done it, so can you. The reason that you want Neptune is because you don't feel loved. That will come as you get involved with others & forget yourself.

• J C

You have no means to take care of yourself, let alone a pet.   A life on a farm isn't a good life, and your kitten will get eaten by a predator, poisoned, etc.   Your kitten now has an indoor home where she'll be taken care of.   Grow up, get your act together, get a job, and an indoor place to stay.   Until then, don't get something that is dependent on you for care, when you are not able to care for yourself. 

• Star_of_Darkness

All cats are indoor cats. The cat belongs indoors and will be better off indoors then with you. AN dyou can't get the cat back since it was never yours, a child can't own pets

If you are under legal age you can't own property, the cat is property, you can't own the cat.  If the cat is being mistreated (I can't imagine it's worse than sleeping outside with you now that your tent has been stolen), notify Animal Control.

OR contact the new owners and tell them you want your cat back.

Maybe,mayayj v jwsoniqN

Nothing you can do, you never owned the cat. By law you are a child and a child can not own the cat  and you gave up all rights to the cat when you gave it to you mother. 

You never had a written contract stating you would pay for care, vet care and all that and would pick the animal back up in a few days. You out right gave her the cat. Verbal agreements never hold up in court.

You are in a situation in which you can't have a pet and its better off with someone who can afford it and has a stable home. The cops won't do anything since you GAVE your mom the cat and she gave it away. You have no legal ground to stand on

Al you can do is ask the owner for the cat back but if they say no there's pretty much nothing you can do. Harsh lesson, you should have NEVER gotten a pet until you had a stable place to be and could afford all its care 

• Star_of_Darkness

Not yoru cat. You are a CHILD so you can't own it. And you can't adopt it, shelters never adopt cats to kids. Your mom is the legal owner and gave it to someone. Nothing you can do 

You need to get your feet under you first -- a solid home and an income source. THEN it's safe to get a pet.