How can I make my house brighter ?

My house is always dark even in the summer I have the curtains opened windows are cleaned, I don’t want to have the lights on all day, my walls are painted white. 

extra light of your choice

White furniture and cute pastel colors really open and bring out light in a room

• David

A sky light will bring in a lot of light but be careful, many of them leak.

• Mr. P

Try and get reflected light into the house. If there are any surfaces outside that can be painted white it should reflect some light into the rooms at some times of the day.

It may be possible to erect white screens outside around a seating area outside that would do the same thing.

Also changing the flooring to white stone chippings will reflect light, and if your rooms have white ceilings it should bounce around the room.

• Ann

We installed some skylights in our house.  It made all the difference in the world, and we don't have to turn the lights on all of the time. 

First take off your sunglasses.  Some people forget.  If you got a yard full of trees then that is going to shade it a lot.  Also large buildings across the street create shade.  Also what is the color of the decor?  If it is black walnut colored wood with black curtains and black tables and chairs(or very dark) on a dark colored rug or wood flooring then that is why it is not bright.  You went for DRAB.   You got it.   Paint the walls grey and it is darker moreso.

Maybe your eyesight is failing you.  One foot into the grave. See an eye doctor or maybe it is meant for you to get out of the house more often.

have  a  couple  skylights  or  solatubes  installed  in  the  room  you  frequent  the  most.  this  will  also  warm  the  room  more … beneficial  during  winter  and,  perhaps,  detrimental  during  summer.

Is there something outside the windows blocking light? Such as trees or shrubs that could be trimmed back to allow more light to the window?

In some houses, there just aren't enough windows to allow in sufficient natural light. I've had that issue. We had a house with a very dark living room and there wasn't a way to fix it.

• Dze

a high power led worklight strategically aimed at a central wall would probably light up a large portion of it and not use much electric ...

• Sandy

you need more windows. I know in the Sims game, the Sim won't even move into a house without enough windows.