Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Will cars with internal combustion engines be obsolete in the next century?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • arther
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

eventually they will like everything else. When new technology comes it comes in a big way weather I see it in my lifetime no idea.

• 1 month ago

While I still have breath I will continue to drive my ICE car

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Does it matter?   

Are you planning to drive when you are 80 years old?   Am thinking the only thing you will be driving is in the back of a HEARSE. (take your age and ADD 80 YEARS is the next century.)

They should be flying cars or Transporters like Star Trek.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Long before then.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

p r o b a b l y

• 1 month ago

We will never know. Everyone living today will be dead by then.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, or at least ones that depend on petroleum.

• YKhan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Oh, definitely! You can feel it's happening right now, electric motors are so unbelievably superior to IC engines in everyway that it's impossible to imagine why we put up with ICE for so long.

ICE made cars incredibly expensive to buy and maintain. To get around the deficiencies of ICE, we had to develop such complex machinery like transmissions which were needed to increase the torque output of ICE which were very low at low revolutions, but high at high revolutions. An electric motor on the other hand has full torque from its lowest revolution to its highest. The electric motors don't produce any emissions, and don't waste any energy while they are stopped since they are basically turned off, whereas ICE needs to keep going at idle while you're stopped. I think by at least 2030, ICE will be obsolete no one will be making them anymore, and gone from the streets by 2040. However, electric vehicles can be powered not just by batteries, but there are alternatives coming up like fuel cells and super-capacitors.

• F
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Not even the most hardened petrol head disputes electric motors are far superior to ICE. However, a gallon of petrol stores an incredible amount of energy compared to a battery of the same size. That is the challenge for EVs , not how good the motors are. 

• 1 month ago

They will be vintage or antiques.

IF !! the announced plans in Europe and many other countries actually become law, the last sales of internal combustion cars will be somewhere from 2025 - 2030.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Probably before the end of this century.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.