Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 10 months ago

Can I teach in the state of California while holding a Virginia professional teaching license?

I hold a professional valid English teaching license in the state of Virginia and have been teaching in a public school setting for 4 years now. I'm interested in moving to California and would like to know if my current license can be transferred over so that I can actually teach in California.

4 Answers

  • Tulip
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    Call the licensing board and ask

  • 10 months ago

    You need to check with Calif. teacher certification authorities to see if they accept Virginia teacher certification under reciprocity, or what you need to do to obtain California certification.

    Many states require master's degree for certification. If you only hold a bachelor's degree, you are going to be far more limited in where you can go, what you can teach where.

    Before you decide to move, you also want to check out the state's education system, issues in various cities/areas, curriculum, etc. Not just pay scales. CA sounds like it pays teachers well, but given high cost of living there and the high taxes, CA pays poorly. And a lot of schools are grossly overcrowded (especially with illegal aliens who do not - often refuse to - learn English), very poor facilities, etc.

  • paul
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    lmfao if you do not know the answer to this question then you are not a teacher

  • Jolene
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    California does offer those who have been licensed in other states a pathway to teach in California through reciprocity programs. Contact the California Commission on Teaching Credentialing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.