I have decided it's best to leave my router on 24/7 but what if I should go on vacation for an extended number of days. Do I turn it off as?

I'd prefer to do, or turn it off.

Sorry, that should have been 'Do I turn it off as I'd prefer to do, or LEAVE IT ON-LOL

Favorite Answer

Mine is normally on, if only to avoid the stresses of booting up and shutting down, and also to receive any potential updates for it.  However if we're away for any length of time I turn it off - we have no need for it to operate anything else.

We tend to leave nothing electrical on, apart from the fridge/freezer, the security gear and the answerphone.

• Lv 7

you can turn it whenever you like. most have internet storage to remember settings.

i had one unplugged for 10 years, and it still had my old login when i plugged it back in.

• keerok

The logical thing to do when not at home for extended periods of time is to unplug everything. Not just turned off. Pull the plug.

• Dave

Absolutely no reason to turn it off while you're gone. Just one more thing to deal with when you get back. Plus, most people have wifi enabled devices in the house that allows remote administration, so turning it off would keep those from working.

• VP

Yep, your smart devices need the Wi-Fi to stay on (Ring doorbell, Nest Temperature sensor, etc.).  Just be sure your Wi-Fi has a nice, long password on it.  

Mine stays on 24/7, not much power consumption. Gone over weekends or longer it gets shut down with a lot of other powered appliances. The freezer and frige stay on is about all.

At home, much of my low power electronics and a couple LED lamps just stay on, as with the TV. the hot and cold can be hard on electronic devices.

Seen TVs or computers fail like 3 years, My TV is now on 10 years.

Last TV went over a year then the power supply board failed. I hold my breath every time the service power goes out, but not that often.

>>when I say shut down, that is switching the power off on power strips and surge suppressors, like pulling plugs.

Get home, power everything back up, take a few minutes for routers and devices to reboot, then as it was.

• Dimo

Depends. 

I must leave the Internet up when I am away from home.  I have a door camera.  When someone comes to my front door I get an alert so I can see them, and can listen/talk to them.