Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Why does he avoid eye contact even when speaking to me?

My cousin had a stroke or heart attack a while ago. I never really saw him that often but recently i was hanging out with him and family members and spend a few days together.

He says he doesn't remember everything from before the stroke. But he knows im his cousin.

Why does he avoid eye contact?

Favorite Answer

maybe hes shy, that might be why

• Jerry

Depending on the culture you grew up in you may think of making eye contact while speaking, while listening in different ways. In some cultures it's rude to do it. In some, it's rude to NOT do it. In some it's considered a sign of honesty and in some it's considered a sign of sneakiness. 

I know that all my life I've been explaining "I can listen and think about what you're saying or I can look at your face -- but I can't do both at the same time. I either focus on your face or focus on the discussion, so take your pick." If you choose to see this as a character issue or personal slight, that's on you. 

He's shy.................