Floyd asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 8 months ago

As a guy looking for jobs, is it bad to have long hair & facial hair?

I'm graduating College next week, so I'm starting to look for jobs. My Mother keeps telling me that employers will never hire me if I keep my hair long & don't shave my beard. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I look scrubby or anything. I always keep my hair tied up & my facial hair well groomed.

Oh, also if it matters, I'll be in the IT industry.

Your mom's old fashioned, as long as you keep things clean and groomed you'll be hireable.

No, in my opinion, the most important thing is to dress appropriately and speak well.

i think it depends on what the employer prefers. Some companies prefer neat looking employees without much facial and long hair. 

no believe it or not i got all my jobs having my hair long.When i cut it short seems people never hired me and many said why did i cut it cause i guess i look better with it longer lol

it only matters to ignorant boomers. no logical employer from a generation that didn't ruin the planet permanently is going to turn down someone based on their appearance. ive always had hair down to at least my shoulders and been declined solely because of my appearance only by boomers and illogical gen x employers. i now make over 200k in netsec and look however i want to. it is probably biased since i am one of the best in the entire world at what i do and nobody would reject me no matter how bad i looked. really all you have to do is avoid boomer employers and you should be good. you don't want to deal with all their whining and toxicity anyways. most IT employers aren't.

As an employer I tell you listen to Mom!  If your hair is long enough to tie up it is too long for a professional look.

Couple of other hints

Go to an interview with dress slacks. shirt and tie and jacket or a suit

Dress shoes not nike type shoes

Smell nice not overwhelming

Get your hair and face groomed (THAT MEANS CUT THE HAIR OFF.)

Use excellent manners during the interview

ESPECIALLY do not practice an interview and start answering a question before the interviewer even get the first 2 words out. you will give before a question is ask of you.

Good luck and take Mom's advice!

It matters. A more traditional male appearance will yield better results faster. 

• It depends on what jobs you're applying for. Your skills and experience may out weigh your facial hair, some employers may be willing to over look it (as long as you can maintain it). I know a man that became a cinematographer with a beard. If you don't know that that is look it up.

your mother in entirely correct. There are no ifs, and,s or but,s about it.

• ron h

Depends on the job you're looking for and what your hair and beard look like on you.  BTW, beard (on men) is best called "beard."  Some employers will not be inpressed with boy buns,(whether high or low.)