Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 8 months ago

I was given a new laptop but there is a pin request at the start plus a name, do I need to get the pin before I can use the lap top?

Or do I need to remove and replace the hard drive?

Whats my best option?

Update:

and what do I do if they didnt? I my be able to get teh pin but I may not 

Update 2:

will ask 1st but it seems weird going into their personal computer 

Update 3:

why judge me i havnt stolen it ffs dont jump to conclusions a55holes

Update 4:

i was given it and they owned it

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

You have to ask the one you got the lappy from. If they don't know, it may even be a stolen laptop.

You can look for product default logons specifically for that device, but if secured, it won't happen.

0000 and 9999 are common default pins,,not working, your are SOL.

• 8 months ago

I had two new PCs and both requested to enter pin before i could use computer.It is done for protecting privacy.Just make pin, enter it,remember it and use computer.

• 8 months ago

You can flash a copy of the operating system on a flash drive and use it reinstall the OS without needing to replace the hard drive.

• 8 months ago

it's not new and may well be stolen. the PIN was set by the prior owner. If you bought this in a shop, take it back ...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Yes, you absolutely need to know that information. When you finally get it and start the laptop, reboot, go to BIOS and either change the username and password or disable them.

Taking out the hard disk won't work. The username and password are saved in a chip embedded on the motherboard. If you can somehow open the laptop and find the CMOS chip and take out its battery or (heaven forbid) short it (!), you may be able to reset the CMOS to default settings (with no username and password).

• 8 months ago

We don't know you or anything about your story, so all I can say is Yahoo Answers should not be involved in anything about gift laptops that have password situation.

That PIN and name are part of the operating system.  If a Windows machine, should be registration with Microsnot.  The customer support could find codes from any information you know.  Serial number to maker might give you the original owner to contact.

• 8 months ago

Check the instruction book of your 'new' laptop.

• 8 months ago

Is there no way to factory reset the pc by putting it into safe mode?

• 8 months ago

Whoever gave you the "new" laptop should remove the password, assuming it was his/her.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.