Can this harm my lamp and is it okay to leave on or should I turn it off during this time?

Every time the dryer in the basement is turned on my lamp dims and then throughout the period of the dryer being on my lamps brightens and dims off and on until the dryer is off.

If my lamp is on while the dryer is on can this damage it? If so, is it safe to keep it plugged in even if the light is off?

Is too much electricity going into the lamp that could break it? And/or is the outlet getting damaged that can ruin the lamp?

I had to stop using my previous lamp a few weeks ago. It was also very old but over the past couple years it began flickering and then all of a sudden there was a burning smell coming from it. Can the dryer cause this or was it just a coincidence?

I don't want to ruin my new lamp.

Favorite Answer

The dryer SHOULD have a dedicated circuit. If the dryer is effecting ANYTHING else, you need an electrician to find the fault in your wiring.

I would worry less about the lamp and worry more about the wiring in my house!.  Something is not right here that a dryer is causing the lights to pulsate like that! and any burned smell is a big red flag- Maybe have a licensed electrician check it all out? you know-before the house burns down?