Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 months ago

Is 5'9 and 130 pounds considered large or plus size?

Is that considered big for a 28 year old woman? My doctor said it was a bit thin, but I think it's not

I'm your weight but 5'3".  I'm at a healthy weight too. I'd say your definitely at the skinnier end of healthy range and are nowhere's near large or plus size! 

If at 28 and still not comfortable in your own skin and cannot believe the unbias opinion of your Doctor, you are in serious trouble? For the height you are, I would say that you're possibly on the thin side too.

If you're comfortable at your weight and are feeling good, then that's what matters.

According to the BMI (body mass index) calculator that I used, your BMI is 19.2, and this is within the lower range of healthy weights, so you're likely just at a low but still healthy weight. 

Understand however, that the BMI calculator is only a general guide, as it has some limitations i.e.:-

- it doesn't take into consideration that body muscle is four times as dense as the same quantity of body fat. This is how someone who is very muscularly developed and physically fit - like a professional athlete - would actually be classed as morbidly obese.

- it's unsuitable for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, because it won't take weight from the growth of the baby or lactation into consideration.

- it doesn't take into consideration that some people purely have heavy bones.

- it can underestimate body fat in people who have lost muscle, such as through aging or due to illness.

Hope this helps.

Not at all. lol you’re pretty thin. 

Cause I’m 5’8, and 180lbs, wear size 12, definitely on the thicker/average size.

But considering how tall you are, I’d assume you’re one of those tall people with thick/high density bone structure???

Source(s): Tall girls rule.

Its definitely thin. Good for you.

• Jerry

Sounds perfect to me

Your doctor is correct.

5 9 and 130 is underweight 

the easiest way to find out how much fat you are carrying is with a skin fold caliper. Their only about $15 and not hard to use.