Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

How to people deal with agonising pain?

I'm trying to write a story, and in a certain scene my main character is meant to basically feel this almost unbearable pain in the back of his head, but I've never really experienced an extreme intense pain remotely like that before. How do people deal with pain like that? 

• zipper

It depends on the person, I ignore it as much as possible. Both my legs have damage to them. Some people take drugs, some drink, some set and cry about it. Have your pick!

Prescription pain killers, if you can get them, and you can keep them down without vomiting and you don't take too many.  If you still feel like you're dying, either call your Dr. or if they are closed and you can't wait, or they won't write something stronger, I'd go to the emergency room and ask for it. Hopefully you have insurance with a low deductible for urgent care so that it's on them if your Dr. can't help. 

• RP

Different people react to pain differently, but there are some for whom a pain that lasts longer becomes more tolerable as they adjust to it.

• Cara

If it really is unbearable, the person may fall into a coma - a state of unconsciousness. It's the body's way of shutting down, temporarily or possibly permanently.

In my experience, you don't deal with it, really.  You can't do jack all about it so you suffer, you endure because there is no other choice.  I can see why some with pain go mad, lose their minds in an attempt to escape a living hell.  Fortunately, the only excruciating pain that I have ever had was something that got fixed fairly quickly.

People tend to opt for drugs to deaden the pain rather than endure it.  People will even let themselves die rather than live in agony any longer.

I don't think there is a "dealing" with it.  It is simply a matter of willpower, of desire to live over letting go.  I don't see any "dealing" with it, though.  They suffer it.  There is no acceptance of it, no "oh well, so it is" that happens that I have ever observed in people.  They might not share their feelings about it but that doesn't mean it isn't a source of constant suffering.

A couple of years ago I had what turned out to be an exceptionally large kidney stone. All through one afternoon I vomited and wept and almost howled with the pain. And although that was bad, it must be nothing compared with someone being burned or having a limb cut off without anaesthetic.

I don't think you CAN 'deal' with an extreme measure of pain. Many people lose control and scream and writhe. A few are able to grit their teeth, or bite down on a cloth or something, while they sweat and weep.

I am one of those who is some what allergic to pain meds. There is only one Codeine, and it still gives me a headache. But I try meditation.

I can only speak for myself, and I guess it varies from person to person, and also on the nature of the pain. If your character is injured or doesn't know what causes the pain, then he will likely be very afraid and worried about his own survival. This will influence how he deals with it and what he does.

If, on the other hand, your character is like me and knows what causes his pain, and that it's not going to kill him, unless he decides to end it himself, then his reaction and actions will be different.

As for how to deal with a level 10 pain. Again, depends on the person and how long the pain lasts.

My first level 10 pain lasted just a few seconds, and my first reaction wasn't "DAMN! THAT HURT!", it was disbelief. Disbelief, because nothing could possibly hurt that much. It's like your mind refuses to process the information, it just doesn't compute, and I know others have felt that way too.

Later, for prolonged, constant pain, you are reduced to existing and suffering. You take a breath, and another one, hang on for one minute, and another one, and another one. It becomes difficult to think, concentrate, focus, time slows, your world narrows down to pain, the pain consumes you, you become the pain. It's down to sheer survival.

And thank you for asking, doing your research, and being respectful about it. A lot of people think they know level 10 pain and often end up making the most asinine and disrespectful remarks.

Note: I'm luckily rarely in this kind of pain, the last time was a few years ago, but I know what it's like.

How they might deal with it would be to withdraw from social company and take painkiller medications. It will make them very short-tempered and probably depressed too.

They might take medication or they might use herbal remedies.