Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

My teacher asks me times tables in the class and I honestly have no idea!! People make fun of me?

Ok so I know it’s kind of dumb and I should already know this, but I’m really bad at my

times tables especially my 4s passed 4x4 I have no idea why I can remember this I also have an issue with not knowing my 3x,7x,8,x9x,12x Again with my 3x I can only remember up to four. I can obviously count up pretty quickly in my head for my 3x so it’s not an issue when working out in my book. But when it comes to getting asked a question out loud in front of my class by my teacher I can’t do it! I could just count up but I get so nervous about the fact that people will know I don’t know the answer than I physically have a mental block and can’t do it! My teacher once asked me what 12x12 was which I now learnt was 144 I couldn’t obviously do it so I responded with “I don’t know” and she repeated her question me yet again responding with “I don’t know” and then continued to yell at me saying I should of learnt all my times tables in Primary School (which I understand I should of but still doesn’t grant a response like this) And that it was ridiculous! Also whilst she was doing this I was getting laughed at and she did nothing about it !! The next day she did it to me again making me right the whole list down of my 9x in my book until I found 56 which again was in front of the class and in a awkward silence which again I got laughed at. Again if she did it today asking me how many 4s are in 21 which I luckily knew the answer was four. What should I do ?!? I’m sick of her embarrassing me!

Mistake I accidentally put four fours in 21 I meant five lol a typo, not making my cause look any better 🥺

• D50

Back in the 50s, we memorized up to 12x12 by shouting out the answers in class over and over again for weeks. It worked.

Then learn your tables. I learnt them at school when I was 7. We st in class chanting 1x2 is 2. 2 x 2 is 4. 3 x 2 is 6 etc all the way up to 12 x 12 is 144.

I was nine years old when I learned my times tables.  They were taught to me that year in school because they are part of the basic knowledge needed for future mathematics learning.

If you don't know them, you need to learn them.

They aren't difficult to learn, which is why they are commonly taught to children under the age of ten.

You'll stop being made fun of once you learn what you should already know.

Go to a website like the one below, and practice.

• Eva

Go back and learn them. BTW there are 5 4's in 21. 5 x 4 = 20

Learn (memorize) the basic times table.

Make or buy flash cards and use them every day.

When you get a little better, have family members use the flash cards to test you whenever and wherever you go.

Problem solved.