Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 8 months ago

Is this a true story or is this BS?  RIFLE CLUBS at high schools in the 1970's?

In 1976 in LOS ANGELES, a high school had a rifle club. They would car pool to Hollywood High School, which had a .22 ROTC rifle range UNDER THE AUDITORIUM (?).  Or they would car pool to the Combined Marine Corps/Navy Reserve Center near Dodger Stadium to shoot at a FULL SIZE 50 yard line underground rated up to .45 Thompson and US M1 .30 Carbine. This person told me they would put their .22 rifle in a case with a sling, walk to the RTD bus stop. Go to their high school, walk to the office of their guidance counselor who sponsored their rifle team, and lean the rifle against the wall along with about 20 other rifles. He would let you bring your Dad's PISTOL to the range IF you kept it in your own car during the day (unloaded, in the trunk)  and drove it in your own car to the range.   Is this believable?

• Sammy

Yes, a generation ago, people were much more mature and respectful.

It's believable. I went to a summer camp in Maine in the early 90's and we used to shoot .22 bolt-action rifles at paper targets. I was about 10 at the time.

Most of the anti-gun hysteria didn't start until after Columbine.

• JOHN B

Not only that but from the 20's to the 50's shooting was considered a pastime for entire families. Up until Walter Cronkite retired we weren't exposed to daily media bombardment with overly dramatized, sensationalized instances involving the EVIL gun community in order to sell copy.

You will never hear the truth from fake news that gun deaths are down 50% since that time because there is no money in reporting unbiased truth.

This has had the effect that guns are now evil.

• shroud

many schools had rifle cubs and teams to compete with other schools

even now some school still have gun clubs or teams

many students had gun racks in their pickups, it was common to see a rifle in a pickup parked in a school parking lot, it was common for kids to hunt before going to school and after school

• Quinn

I wasn't there, but the story is not far-fetched. Even the Boy's Scout taught how to shoot rifles back then before political correctness reared its ugly head. And if you go back further to say about the 1870's, some of those children who went to those little red one room schools took their guns with them when they went to schools either because for hunting before or after school. 

• TB12

I attended two different high schools back in the '70's, the first in southern Washington was a large school with a jr ROTC program, going to the range every few weeks was a regular part of the curriculum, I wouldn't call it a rifle club so much but it was sponsored by the school,

The second was a very small school in southern Oregon, there was no rifle club or ROTC program but you know those stories you hear about a rifle in the rack of half the pickups in the student parking lot,,,, yeah, that was true. It was not at all unusual for a bunch of us to get together after school and go target shooting on someone's farm.

We had NJROTC rifle club but they were air rifles supplied by the school. We weren't allowed to bring our own on school property or to matches and in live firearms were most definitely a no-go.

Class of 09

the Junior High School I went to in Virginia had a rifle team. The High School I went to in Pennsylvania had a rifle team and a hunt club, I was a member of both. Almost every pickup truck in the student parking lot had a rifle rack in the back window with a rifle and a shotgun in it. I drove a Chevy 4 door and kept my gear and guns in the trunk.

Yes. 

I was born in 1955.  In 1966 at age 11, dad bought me a target rifle and entered me into the local NRA Junior Shooting Program.  We lived in Massachusetts - at age 14 you could get a FID card and open carry a rifle or shotgun - hunting or target shooting - take it where you wanted.  Twice during my 4 years of high school I brought it into school as part of a public speaking assignment.  I walked from home to the bus stop, got on the bus, walked into school, put it in the locker, take it out for class, then back to the locker - then back to the bus, bus stop and home.  It never got mean, never loaded itself, never ran down the halls shooting anyone - it behaved itself quite well.   

• L.N.

I used to see rifles and shotguns in the rear window gun racks of trucks in the parking lot of my high school all the time. Especially during deer season. It was no big deal.