Money back from a scam?

I ordered a set of trashcans from an online catalog about two weeks ago. At the time, I didn't know it was a scam. I received a conformation email about my order, but never received a follow up email about shipping. The money was taken out of my account as soon as I ordered it. Now that I've done research, I've found out that I'm not the only person this has happened to. The address that was listed in a sketchy warehouse in Georgia, yet on the statement its a different country from where the "business" is "located". The phone number doesn't work, no one ever gets a response when they email the "business" and the website is completely shut down. If I go to my bank and explain the situation, will they be able to refund the money to me? And is there anything I should do further? Thanks

if you are caught up in a scam ,you will be caught off guard by scammer carefully planned move,by sending false information to you ,at that time ,it will become difficult for you to retrieve your money ,buddy ,next time ,you should be more careful of what you do ,don't fall for it again ,

• Who

possibly

YOUR problem is- proving fraud

To prove fraud you have to show that the company had no intention of supplying the goods when they accepted your order

Its possible the company WAS trading but went bust between getting your order then shipping it. And THATS why the phone dont work or dont get replies to emails and the website has shut down (That COULD also have been whats happened to all those other people)

in which case you just one of possibly;lots of creditors (and wont get you money back) .

Whether you get any money back COULD depend on what the laws are on internet

purchases where you live

(Its not uncommon that a company stores and ships goods from a warehouse BUT the office where the business is run from (and the statements come from) is in a completely different area

You can go to the bank and attempt to back charge the company. But if the people have already split from the area they've taken your money and there is no chance that you're going to see it again

Why are you sitting around "wondering" --- IF you go to the bank will you get your money back?  You need a kick-start.  Banks have fraud departments.  Call the fraud line on the back of your bank card and file a fraud claim and ask that they reverse the charges.  Hopefully, you haven't waited too long.

< The money was taken out of my account as soon as I ordered it >

< will they be able to refund the money to me?  >

Nope assuming this means you paid them from a bank account.  Live and learn, this is why I never debit out of my checking account.  Had you used a credit card and you are in the US, you could have disputed the charge and been protected under Federal law.

If it was payed with creditcredit card, yes, you can send a request within 3 months to Visa or Mastercard to stop the payment. If it was from debet card you need to be quick, maybe you can still reverse the transfer. And for the future, many banks offer insurance against online fraud for just a few bucks a month. It doesn't cover fraud with other consumers though, only fraud by businesses, so nothing on second hand shops like ebay or craigslist.

Source(s): Just read this advice from anti fraud organisations in a magazine. They say they have to block 100 websites daily to even begin fighting online fraud.

If you paid with a credit card - your bank should be able to refund you.

• Judy

If you put it on a credit card, the cc company might be able to. If you sent a check, bank transfer or Western union or something like that, no.

• Ar

Contact your cc company.  They should be able to help you.  Possibly stop future changes.