Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 10 months ago

is a mechanical hard drive that's opened up and the metal plates are touched irrecoverable?

basically I was dumb and I saw a video about somebody opening up a hard drive and moving the arm that reads the data off the plates a certain way and it fixed a clicking hard drive problem, well I got frustrated not having the right tools to open it up in the first place and wounded up bending and throwing away the lid to the hard drive plus the plates inside the hard drive got touched about five times or more and the lids been opened up for several months plus in a fairly Dusty house with little to no heating or cooling?

• Lv 7

it would cost more than itxs worth. just get a new one, and don't do crazy stuff you aren't trained for...

• keerok

Yes, definitely.

Hard disk heads and platters absolutely need to operate in a dust free environment. The space between the head and the platter is too narrow that even a layer of oil from your skin will ruin the platter's special coating and the head's alignment so imagine if a tiny speck of dust went in between them. There would definitely be scraping. That hard disk now is just good for display. You won't be able to recover anything from it anymore.

No it is not, pros can still recover the data.

If I was you I would plug the hard drive in and see if I can get it to operate long enough to take an external hard drive boot up the operating system and make a full system image to the external hard drive. If you can get the hard drive to work for just 30 minutes you can make a system image and then you can install a brand new hard drive and use the startup disk that you create when you make a system image to restore the system image to the new hard drive.

• Tommy

It's shot. They need to be opened in a dust free environment. You should have watched the video that shows you how to make a mini clean room if you are going to open a drive, If your drive is doing the click of death noise it's pretty much dead. Opening it up and manually moving the arm is a last ditch effort. If the data on the drive is important and has not been backed up, send it to the professionals.

• Bill-M

Your hard drive is damaged beyond repair.