Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 months ago

How do I get over being called ma'am and being bitter about it?

I'm only 35 and get the impression people think I'm 40-50 years old and this upsets me. I don't expect to look 21 forever I just want to look my age and be treated as such not a senior citizen and this makes me bitter. I wear makeup, dress nice and do my hair and still get called ma'am imagine if I didn't wear makeup, I'm sick of it.

Just say “ Please skip the ma,am and in its

Place instead try” ( how you would like to be

Addressed, ) “ideally with the pronunciation ok?”

Very Best Wishes 

Mars

Source:) Personal views cited 

• C

You are so opposite to me!  The first time I was referred to as "that lady" by a parent telling their toddler to stop trying to grab my hair I was delighted at 19 and the first time I travelled to France on my own and was addressed as "madame" rather than "mademoiselle," which was still the norm for very young women at the time, I was thrilled.  I didn't look old then and I still look a lot younger than my age.  You should take it as a mark of respect, that you are an adult and should be treated as such.  

• Piero

Ma'am is an address of respect, not age. Does this mean it took you 35 years to become respectable????????????

dictionary wise, you are a ma am. to anyone under 21. to anyone 21-25 you are a milf even if you do not have kids. 26-40 is your age group. But society teaches all of us to call any adult woman ma am, and adult man Mister. especially in a business, church, or school setting. But if I do not know their last name, I call all females even as young as 21 ma am, when I am at work, and I say Hello, or thank you, or goodbye. ma am.

just remember that the person is only trying to be polite, they're not trying to call you old or say you look old

Let me call a waambulance. Heaven forfend someone calls you by a respectful name.

Ma'am is just a sign of respect and politeness, just like holding the door for someone. I think it can be used with any adult woman regardless of age.

There is nothing wrong with being called "ma'am.

Just take it with grace.

Oh, the humanity!

Calling someone “ma’am” is simply polite. 

I am 21 years old and absolutely admire when guys refer to me as “ma’am”. It shows me they have good manners and that their mamma’s raises them right. 

Maybe you should take a step back and reevaluate. Men refer to woman of ALL ages as ma’am and have done so for centuries. 

It’s literally manners...

Clearly you weren’t raised in the south or anywhere where they teach men manners and etiquette.