Is the carnivore diet healthy?

Shawn Baker, a doctor says that there are many benefits to eating only meat. He also has a lot of people following his advice who saw huge improvements to their health compared to when they were vegan.

But is there any long term health problems associated with only eating meat?

If I only ate meat for a month, will that increase my risk of colon cancer in the future?

I'm not sure why people believe this myth about meat causing colon cancer. Or why they think meat gets stuck in our intestines. All fallacy.

It's the same with high cholesterol when Ancel Keys made up a big story about how high cholesterol foods and fats kill us. He had no research to support his claims.

No.  Eating no vegetables at all is a dietary disater. Humans are omnivores.

You're arguing between the two extremes. Neither is great.

I have never heard of any sensible person arguing to eat ONLY meat.

No it's not. Humans need a balanced diet which means meat and vegetables. If a human didn't eat vegetables then they wouldn't be healthy at all and would age terribly. Vegetables can taste nice like meat too but it's best to have both in your diet

Source(s): Ex vegan

One month of any weird behavior isn't going to increase your chances of cancer by much.

I would think it would be boring as hell.

Even the Inuit didn't eat just meat. they also ate the organs of their kills which gave them many nutrients meat doesn't have. AND they ate what ever they could harvest during the summer months too.

Do it and see but I suspect its like any other weird diet that restricts people to only ONE type of food: boring and hard to stick to.

It's not healthy. Human cultures that are primarily carnivorous usually have a lower life expectancy. This is also due to the fact that they're all far away from any sort of medical care. This is not something that's very well studied, our digestive tracts are not well suited to a carnivorous diet, we need fiber to have healthy guts.

• Star_of_Darkness

False. Eating mostly meat doesn't lower your life span

I have heard good health claims on youtube about the carnivore diet.  My sister tried the carnivore diet for a week.  It made her feel better, got rid of the brain fog and fatigue and lowered her blood sugars.  But eventually her digestive system got sluggish from not having enough fiber to push things through.  I can see adding lettuce and other non-starchy vegetables to a carnivore diet, just to keep you regular.  That way you get the meat and the benefits from green leafy vegetables too.  No need tor grains at all.

You might watch youtube videos about the hazards of the carnivore diet, as well as its benefits.  I have heard that glutamine, a product in meat, can feed cancer.  It was on Dr Berg's  youtube video "Cancer Lives on Sugar and … Something Else".  

• Dimo

When a person has an opinion that is oppose to 99% of others, that person is probably a kook.

Human beings are omnivores, and do best with a diet that is 80% to 90% vegetable, and only 10% to 20% animal products.  A diet that is 0% vegetable/100% animal is a VERY unhealthy diet.

You WILL DIE.  Life is 100% fatal.  No one that had ever lived has died, everyone living now will die in the future.  The vast majority of people living will die of either Heart Disease or Cancer.

Since you WILL DIE, you might as well enjoy what little life you have.

An all meat diet diet has been known to cause colon cancer. Try the keto diet, I've seen many people comment how beneficial it was for them. 

Meat is fine to eat, but the best meats are the lean meats and seafood.

Half of every plate SHOULD be vegetables, with one-quarter being protein of some form and the other quarter being complex carbohydrates.

For vegetarians, vegans, the protein-carbs should be legumes/tofu with brown rice. While other veggies DO have protein in it, there is not enough to get what your body needs on a daily basis.

Also, if you are vegan, you need to take supplements for what you can only get from animal sources (or cannot get enough of from vegan diets): Vitamin B12, Calcium, Iron and Zinc.

Thus, a vegetable-heavy diet with SOME low-fat meats is best for you.

As for bowel cancer, the biggest threat to that is NOT eating fiber-rich foods. Many vegetables, some fruits, and all complex carbs contain fiber in them.

The association of meat and bowel cancer is the old-style habit of eating lots of meat and potatoes (neither of which are a source of fiber) and little or no fruit, vegetables, complex carbs.  It is not the meat, but the total diet that lacks fiber which is the problem.

I wouldn't only eat vegetables nor would I only eat meats. i think a balanced combination not only provides a healthy diet but also variety.  I love a juicy ribeye steak just as much as I love brussel sprouts drowned in butter!