Should i be a waitress or go to college for a desk job? introvert asking?

I am a cashier at a fine dining restaurant. I have thought about being a server however I am an introvert and have some college, I am thinking of pursuing a career in HIT and although in demand seems selective. What seems more feasible?

No idea what HIT is. But let me tell you. A desk job is hella boring. Makes me feel like dying, so I became a freelancer. If I could do it again, I would have studied for something where I can move a bit, like doctor, nurse, vet, teacher, maybe even just florist, farmer,... But a desk job? Never again... all the fake people, loud calls, the screens ruining my back and eyes, the boring work, or the work that I don't know how to do, the same faces every day, the exhaustion of driving two hours a day and being away from home 12 hours a day... It was killing me.

• Scott

Being a waitress (who wants to earn tips) should be bubbly and outgoing, not introverted.

What made you think of HIT?   I ask because if IT intrigues you, your best bet is check ibnto local certification programs.  They cover all areas besides health, but what's good about them is they offer a career "ladder", where you can keep getting advanced certs while working.   They also help with job placement.   If this is an interest area for you, google what's out there locally.   If there's one industry that always needs qualified people, it's IT.  Obviously, some of this involves healthcare but it involves pretty much everything. You can get started a lot quicker through a cert course than aiming for a college degree.

I have to say that I was a server for 7 years, the stress DREAMS stayed with me for another 14 years before they stopped.

In 15 years of office work, I had only ONE work dream and it was about filing, it wasn't bad at all.

The office job made me far more money than the waitressing did.

• martin

Don't be feeling badly about shyness. In an IT career, you can find your niche. Once you get a job with people like yourself, you will feel comfortable.

• Eva

If you want to stay in your comfort zone in a dead end job, go ahead. Getting something better that will afford you a decent life will require you to move beyond the label you've put on yourself.