Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

I’m almost 17, my boyfriends almost 20, I’m done w high school in a few months and we want to have a baby..?

Alright so details, I’m finishing high school in a couple months, he has a job, and after high school I’ll be doing cosmetology school, but I’ll be receiving income from my trust fund.  We both feel mentally stable enough for a child, and will be financially stable enough too. if we have all the proper assets to have a child, and my family agrees with my decision, is us having a planned pregnancy at this age okay? I personally feel like it is, but my friend is shaming me for this and making me feel very bad about my decision. Just would like some opinions, and please if possible refrain from being rude. Thanks. 

• Edna

Graduate from high school, finish your cosmetology course, get married, and then plan a pregnancy. 

• A C

You are too young for that kind of responsibility.  Please wait a few years. 

Why would you want to have a baby if you're going to cosmetology school? A baby is not a stuffed animal. Babies NEED to be with their mother 24/7, not dropped off at daycare where they get abused. If you are not going to be a stay at home mother, do NOT have children. This is the reason why so many kids today are mentally disturbed. Their mothers allowed the Daycare system to raise them and abuse them 

Most who enter into this sort of relationship at 17 greatly lack the common sense they should have been born with although there are always exceptions. If it feels right, it's your life. Follow your feelings, not those of others. Best of luck

Do you want what's best for your child? Then you wait. Children statistically do better in school and in life when their mother is older. Even waiting until 21 makes a difference. Children also do better when their mother has a career and works, and you need a couple of years after cosmetology school to establish yourself.

Also, please consider that where you live, having sex with your boyfriend may be considered statutory rape. The baby would be proof of his committing a crime. Anyone could report him. Is that what you want for him?

Further, a baby costs $5,200 a year, and that doesn't count child care while you work, which can run $1,100 a month or more. Does your trust fund provide that kind of money?

Your friend is right. The question is whether you're mature enough to see that.

You have a ton of time for babies but little time to be young and free. Yeah, I think the first night you are up all night, husband isn't sleeping and gets sharp with you with baby puke all over you you might change your mind. It isn't as glamorous as on TV.

• jlb

It's not something I would want for myself or my kids. 

You should get married 1st, at least.  If you 2 can't commit to a marriage you shouldn't be committing to a child.  Also be sure that either his or your job has health insurance.  

Is your relationship with your bf stable?  A baby is very hard  on a relationship.  Do you have supportive families?  Do you know how to budget and save money for the future?  These are all things you should consider before moving forward with this plan.

What there makes you stable? And who will pay the hospital bill?

• MissA

I mean it's not impossible it will work out for you. Stranger things have certainly happened.

But the odds are stacked WAY high against you. You guys are young (you, in particular. I kinda have to suspect your BF is either real immature or into very young girls which is going to become a PROBLEM in the very near term once you stop being a very young girl). Your relationship is extremely likely to end in the next year or so, particularly if you throw the burden of being barely-educated and broke parents to a new baby on top of it.

Anyway what's your rush? You've got a good twenty years of fertility ahead of you. Why not actually learn what life is like as an adult and have some good times and then become a mother once you're a bit more stable?

If you have $I00k in the bank &

some xp dealing with small kids

I don't see any reason to delay a

child :/

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

..........

• LizB

You're not married yet, you don't have a job, you don't have a home of your own, and you haven't explained where your health insurance would be coming from. There, you've got at least 4 reasons.