Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 10 months ago

Should I set up a cage for my rabbit or should I keep it cage free?

I'm thinking to get a rabbit but I don't know if I should keep it cage free or keep it in a cage. Which one is better?

NO. Do not cage your rabbit it is extremely cruel. I know because I own a rabbit, they need to run just like dogs and cats. If you think its cruel to cage a dog or cat, dont do that for a rabbit. You can have a bunny proofed space for your rabbit like your bedroom, and have it litterbox trained. You could also have an x pen for it but allow it to free roam for a few hours a day under supervision if you think thats best.

Do not let it run around freely.  Rabbits chew EVERYTHING.  This includes electrical wires, shoes, furniture, drywall, moulding, carpets...  Plus they really like peeing on soft surfaces like clothes, laundry, beds, couches...

Get an exercise pen so it has plenty of room but is still contained.

If you have a dedicated rabbit room or a room that can easily be completely rabbit proofed then go with the free range option. If you don't have a good spot to free roam the rabbit you should have a cage. The bigger the better. Playpens make great cages. Unless the cage is quite large you will have to provide floor time. 

Even if you do free roam the rabbit its not a bad idea to have a cage as a home base for the rabbit and you never know if you might end up needing to cage the rabbit at some point. 

A cage for safety when unsupervised with free run when a supervised.

its best to keep the bunny in a cage when it can't be supervised but they do need exercise and freedom. 

Keep it cage free.