Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 10 months ago

Should I set up a cage for my rabbit or should I keep it cage free?

I'm thinking to get a rabbit but I don't know if I should keep it cage free or keep it in a cage. Which one is better?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

NO. Do not cage your rabbit it is extremely cruel. I know because I own a rabbit, they need to run just like dogs and cats. If you think its cruel to cage a dog or cat, dont do that for a rabbit. You can have a bunny proofed space for your rabbit like your bedroom, and have it litterbox trained. You could also have an x pen for it but allow it to free roam for a few hours a day under supervision if you think thats best.

• 10 months ago

Do not let it run around freely.  Rabbits chew EVERYTHING.  This includes electrical wires, shoes, furniture, drywall, moulding, carpets...  Plus they really like peeing on soft surfaces like clothes, laundry, beds, couches...

Get an exercise pen so it has plenty of room but is still contained.

• 10 months ago

If you have a dedicated rabbit room or a room that can easily be completely rabbit proofed then go with the free range option. If you don't have a good spot to free roam the rabbit you should have a cage. The bigger the better. Playpens make great cages. Unless the cage is quite large you will have to provide floor time. 

Even if you do free roam the rabbit its not a bad idea to have a cage as a home base for the rabbit and you never know if you might end up needing to cage the rabbit at some point. 

• 10 months ago

A cage for safety when unsupervised with free run when a supervised.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

its best to keep the bunny in a cage when it can't be supervised but they do need exercise and freedom. 

• 10 months ago

Keep it cage free.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.