Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

What To do during solos? (Band)?

Im a singer for a rock band and struggle to find something to do with myself on stage with the guitarist is soloing. Any tips for what I could do instead of just standing there?

If your guitarist is soloing so long that you need to find something to do, the guy is soloing waaaaaay too long.

Brian May used to do 20 minutes solos with Queen. Time to go to the bar. After one minute it was just self indulgence.

Watch some old AC/DC clips. Bon Scott knew what to do while Angus Young was playing.

Whatever you do, DON'T stand around with mouth gaped open & a panicked look on your face as I saw Rod Stewart do when with the Jeff Beck Group at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit in July 1969 while Jeff tore off anther juicy solo.    

Unless you're on a stadium-size stage, there really isn't much you can do.  And if you're white (most rock vocalists are these days, just sayin'), you definitely don't want to dance.  

You could headbang, you could do a few high fives with the audience, or you could step aside and drink your beverage of choice for a minute.  Or if you want, pick up an acoustic guitar to fatten up the rhythm section.  Then when people say they couldn't hear you, tell them you had a problem with the mic or something.  A keyboard works too.

Stay out of the way and dont act like a dumbazz on the stage by doing stupid or dated stuff like air guitar along with the lead guitarist, or anything like that. 

Source(s): 79

Be respectful. Yes it sounds dumb and pretty obvious, but soloing is not easy. And a lot of people mess them up, even if they wrote it themselves. And have played it a thousand times. You are the vocalist and for some people the only person in the band that matters. You are front and center most of the time. A solo gives someone else an opportunity to shine for a minute. By you just standing there being respectful and quiet. You are sending the guitarist a message. That they matter, and are a valuable member of the band. And I am not saying that this question is stupid. It's a very good one, and it shows that you care about the other members of the band your in. Its hard to give others credit. It shows your character that you are asking.

Some singers will walk around the stage. Some play air guitar while standing next to the guitar player. Some will dance, and some will move back into the background and look at other musicians playing their instruments. Some will play tambourine.

• TB12

Step back and let the guitarist have his moment.

• TB12

I am,,, damn, I did not know that,,, boy my folks are sure going to be surprised.