my son is 27 and has a drinking problem but just came to me in tears and asked me to help him what do i do at this point?

Let him die. It's the trash taking itself out.

You find him a treatment program. If you can afford private rehab that would be great. If not you can look into the various addiction programs like AA and others.

I was raised by an alcoholic mother.  I learned at a very young age that the only person you can fix or help is yourself.  You can't help him, and I'm sorry to say that.  What you can do is encourage him to get some help.  Therapy, rehab - all of these will make a difference.  Let him know you believe in him and support him, and even if he doesn't want to go to or do a program, force him to.  If a 17-year-old kid can force their 57-year-old mother to go to rehab (which was my case), a grown adult can surely make their son go.  It's hard, but not only him, but everyone in the family will benefit from it.  I wish you luck and I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.  <3

I lost my brother at 28 to alcoholism. Let him know he can always talk to you and you will always listen without judgement. Let him know that there is a way to put it in his past. Tell him he is not his alcoholism. He is being abused by his alcoholism. Give him ideas of things to do instead. Show him a brighter day.  Good luck

you cannot help him. He needs to help himself. He needs to dig deep into his childhood and expose who abused him so badly that he has to drink his pain away

If he's in really bad shape, you may need to see if you can get him into rehab so he can get clean - otherwise, you can have him stay with you, and try to help him get clean.

Either way, he needs to find a local AA group (or NA if he's using drugs too - NA considers alcohol a drug, so you don't have to go to both). 

They generally recommend going to 90 meetings in 90 days - getting a sponsor, and avoid getting into any relationships for at least a year.

The problem is that while he might think he's hit rock bottom, and wants help - getting clean is a decision he has to make for himself.  Nobody else can make it for him.

Good luck!

• kristy

Send him to rehab

Find him an inpatient rehab facility for substance abusers and offer to help him pay for it.

I guess to get him to enroll in some kind of treatment program. Any help from you needs to be with stipulations on where he goes and who he spends time with among other things. If he refuses, then you are just wasting your time, he doesn't really want the kind of help that will actually help him.

Just stay supportive with him.