Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 months ago

What cerebral/interesting fiction or non fiction do you recommend for a young man living on his own?

Just moved into my own first apartment, looking for material to read and ponder.

Perhaps your recommendation can serve as a coffee table prop to intrigue guests.

Try these.

The Master of Perception: http://tiolibooks.com/cgi-bin/blog

Catch a Falling Star: http://tiolibooks.com/blank_1.html

• Marli

Buy what you are interested in reading, and read what you buy.  Cogito is right: be yourself.  When I go to a friend's place, I scan the spines on their bookshelves.  They know I'm a bookworm and that I will show interest in what they have read and kept because it is a part of who they are. (BTW to the person who recommended Carl Sagan's book. I've meant to read it years ago; but other books caught my eye.  Thanks.)

Buy a book with lots of pictures for your coffee table.  Guests like books with coloured pictures.  I'm not a traveler, but a book with "National Geographic" on the cover gets my interest every time.

• j153e

For your own information:

"The Quarter-Life Breakthrough:  Invent Your Own Path, Find Meaningful Work, and Build a Life that Matters," by Adam Poswolsky;

"101 Things Every Young Adult Should Know," by Sir John Hawkins;

"Understanding Yourself," by Mark Prophet;

for your coffee table, when female guest:  "For Couples Only," by Shaunti Feldhahn;

for your coffee table, when generic guests:  "In a Sunburned Country," by Bill Bryson.

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan.  Promotes science literacy and critical thinking.

• Ben

Robinson Crusoe. Good book about living alone.

• Cogito

Buy any books in which you are genuinely interested.

Don't pretend to be something you're not.

if you invite people into your home, they should be your friends, and there's no need to show off to them or give a false impression.

Real people don't need 'props'.

Be yourself.

Chariots of the Gods? by Erich von Däniken