Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 10 months ago

Are sets and repetitions overrated when trying to build muscle?

I see guys at the gym simply just lift and lift for hours without really counting sets and reps. 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

Overrate din what sense? If you do not track this stuff, how do you know if you've made any improvements? How can you effectively program to make improvements if you just randomly do stuff?

How do you know they are not counting/?

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

If you know what you're doing it becomes intuitive. I agree some people get off too hard on exact numbers. But at first it can help to get you thinking about "attempt ranges." There are very different techniques that get very different results.If you want to be able to lift heavy the 15 sets of 4 reps ballpark is where you want to be. If you want bubbles, 8 sets of 8 reps is a better option.

Without half an idea people do 1 set of 5 on chest press cable machine. Then do the worst form on 3 sets of 1 rep with 900lbs on the leg press. Then do 3000 head only sit ups. It's a mess and waste of time. The ability to conceptualize some general plan I think helps alot.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

High numbers of reps with a moderate load builds practical strength and endurance, without necessarily giving you a "weightlifter" physique.

Using extreme loads where you can only do very small numbers tends to give the bulging-muscle effect.

Compare it to eg. endurance running vs a sprinter.

The first is far better for health and causes less strain and damage to your body.

The second gives higher short-term performance but no long term endurance, it works to some extent by causing deliberate damage and making your body add material to repair muscles and joints. It can cause serious health problems as you get older.

• 10 months ago

I think it is better to count repetitions and sets, that way you can have a definite routine, so you don’t overexert yourself, and thus avoid joint damage, etc, etc

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

Yes once you learn muscle confusion you will have the understanding and some will think ur using steroids

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.