Why are apartment buildings in the U.S made with cardboard?

Coming from China this is very strange to me! Building in China are made with concert, therefore we never can hear noise from neigbours. But now after I moved to the U.S like omg yesterday the corner of my desk poked a hole IN THE WALL!!! Like what??? Then I realized that no wonder I can hear every single footsteps from the unit above me, because the wall are made with what seems like a stronger version of some sort of cardboard.... like it's literally that.... then after future dig down I realized that the between floor it isn't concret as well, it's just wood then hallow between the floors.....

I really don't understand this, we live in the 21st century why are U.S using cardboard to build buildings? If there is a fire we all gonna be dead since the whole building is made with cardboard and wood..... Just FYI, i'm only 180lbs, and the cups inside of my cupboard shelf makes clinking sound when i walk around.....

The apartment building i am currently had 3 stories and it was building in 2018. 

wrong spelling. Concrete. 

• Droopy
    Favorite Answer

wood, drywall, plywood are used for most buildings in US especially housing.  Theres different grades of material. Sounds like the contractor and owner that built your apartment was cheap an was more concerned about cost an time than quility. 

Source(s): Life
  • David

Real Americans own houses on 5 acre lots and shoot deer outside the back door.

You can talk.  Is it not both the cultures of Japan & China that use rice PAPER WALLS/bamboo walls.   So you should be accustomed to this and Cardboard is an  upgrade...is it not?

Apparently, you are not affluent enough in America to afford what you had in China. So sorry, buy noise cancelling headphones.

wood in china is a resource they wish to preserve, concrete is  a mineral aggregate found at sea shores and quarries,, much more plentiful than wood from trees, concrete withstands earth tremors and quakes much better than wood,,, concrete withstands ocean and river fast currents.

What the heck is consert?  If you don't like it here you can always go back to China.

• Erik2 months agoReport

wrong spelling. Concrete. 

• y

Cost, Sheetrock which is used on interior walls and ceilings combined with the wood structure, is a hell of a lot cheaper then reinforced concrete. The bouncing you feel actually intentional now, the compost beams used are designed to basically bend but not break. They can actually support a larger load than a solid beam made from new growth wood, which is basically all we have now a days for construction. The new crap, has more give so you get a slight bounce to it. Any who, it all comes down to cost.

Well, if things are so much better in China, please feel free to go back.

Do some research into the problems with Chinese building materials imported here in the past, including defective wiring that started fires and poisonous, moldy  plasterboard that caused untold cases of cancers before the problem was identified and all the houses & buildings fitted with it had to be torn down or rebuilt.  And Special Thanks for all the children's toys painted with lead. . . . nice touch.

• Mr. P

I think your wall and the roof of the appartment below you are made with "Sheetrock" - which is gypsum plaster between thin cardboard. 

This is nailed onto wooden battons and then usually held by outside brickwork.

The board will allow holes if you hit it, but is fireproof, light and easy to build with.

I agree brick and concrete is better, but internal building walls are usually made this way.

• Nuff Sed

Fire resistant is not "fireproof".  Two 5/8 layers of Type-X gypsum would give you a better fire rating, but STILL is not "fireproof".

No need to rant.