Kai asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

Do I have a right to be mad if my mom looks through my phone whenever she wants?

Sounds like a simple “No” but hear me out. I get good grades, never get in trouble, do as I’m told even if it’s unfair, and do extra things just to make people happy. But my mom still looks through my phone cause she feels like it. No, I have nothing bad on my phone, just teenage stuff that I don’t want my mom being nosy about. She doesn’t give me a reason other than “I’m your mother”. Which makes me mad cause I feel like she has no valid reason to go through my privacy. Do I have a right to be mad or am I overreacting? 

If you're underage it's her job to check your phone. If you truly have nothing to hide this shouldn't be a problem for you. Privacy is something we earn by becoming an adult and by earning enough to pay for that privilege (meaning not living off the largesse of parents rent free).

Let me put it to you this way-

If she bought the phone and pays the monthly bill, then its HER phone and you are merely borrowing hers. Given its her phone, then she has every right to go through it when she sees fit, she doesn't even have to ask you first, that's her right because its her property.

If you want your privacy, then I suggest you get a job, save up the money to not only buy your own phone but pay the bills. Until you do that, you don't have your own phone, therefore have zero rights to any privacy, and zero rights to get uptight when she sifts through your phone.

• Lv 7

your parents are REQUIRED to look after you until you are 18.

what is it you're doing that you don't want them seeing? think about that for a minute...

i think you do, if my mother was doing that i wouldnt bother having a phone

• edward

You don’t have a right to privacy it’s a privilege if she wants you to have it she has the ability to take it away

Until you turn 18 she is still legally responsible to provide for your food, clothes, education, health and shelter.  If she fails to provide for any of these she can be charged with child neglect. Sooooo, she pretty much has a responsibility to watch over you. Yes, it makes you mad but how would you feel if she just didn’t care what you did? Doing drugs? Mom doesn’t care. Having unprotected sex? Mom doesn’t care. The opposite of what your Mom is doing is worse.  Deep down she loves and cares about you - don’t ever forget that, no matter how hard it can be 😂

Majsnausakq Wheuyeyde