Already starting to hear bad things about new job. How to get mentally prepared?

Ok so I am starting a new job at a hospital in another week and a half. I was talking with folks who worked there in the overnight shift, which I will be working. From my interview I was forewarned that it is not a walk in the park, but now I am hear from an ex-employee really how bad it is, in terms of that shift. I have no idea of what to do, because from what I was told, learn as much as I can and try to move on. I just am scared that I don't get fired (I have never been fired before, and don't want to ever) from there, because I'm still a "newbie," just have been working in the healthcare field for 1 year, and I am nervous to say that I might not know enough. I am starting to wonder if this field is really my "calling." I don't know how to mentally prepare for this new job, and the different scenarios I might see.

• juliet

Never listen to rumors. ALWAYS see for yourself. Yes, you need an idea of what you’re getting yourself into, but not to the point of being psyched out.!

• Scott

People tend to exaggerate. Also, people often create their own circumstances. Give the job a try, you might like it.

Never take others word at face value-

One can have a bad experience at a job, and it can alter their prespective! Just because one person had a bad call, doesn't mean you won't enjoy your shift or that you will screw up and get fired. 

I had a co-worker who had a bad experience at another restaurant with this chef, and he warned me about what a psycho he was to work for etc. Long story short, the chef had to fill in for a few nights at the restaurant I worked at, I foolishy listened to my co-worker about him. He came in, and he was NOT as advertised, he was a quiet and laid back guy, he was a stoner, but he meant no harm and I had zero issues working with the guy for those few shifts.

Just go in with an open mind with your new job.

Stop.   Think.

If the job is awful for long-term, you aren't going to be fired.  They likely have trouble keeping employees which is why someone as inexperienced as you got the job from the get-go.

Do exactly as you've been told.   Do your best and learn all you can.   This is a LEARNING EXPERIENCE.   Perhaps unpleasant but valuable and temporary.   Stay long enough that your resume doesn't look sketchy.

And know that the job is awful and it's a night job...it may give you good negotiating power when it comes to your pay.

Stop being so emotional about it all.   It's a job and you're going to help people just like you were trained to do.

• Stoo

If you're doing research to prepare to fail, guess what, you'll fail.

It's good to do research to find out what's coming so you can prepare for it and do better on the job.

If the job itself is shiît, your research will at least prep you for the shît Do that but give it a fair go yourself. Some people over-dramatize things. Experience it for yourself. But keep your options open and if something better comes up, great., take it.

• Judy

Get started on the job, and form your own opinion.