Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 10 months ago

How much should my apartment rent cost if I get 800 dollars a month?

I must escape my insane brother! I'm going crazy living with my parents!

• Judy

max would be $267 a month, and that would be real tight (forget ever eating out, having a phone or cable, or going out with friends, for example). You need a better job before you even think about an apartment.  Section 8 subsidized rent wait lists are years long, even if you qualify.

• RICK

No more then $250 a month if that includes utilities 

No more then $200 if you pay utilities  seperate

You cannot afford rent ANYWHERE with income of only $800 a month. You won't be able to afford a room in a house with that. Figure on $500 in rent - MINIMUM. You need 3 - 4 times that much in income in order to financially qualify to rent.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Ti

As a rule, your rent should be no more than 1/3 of your income, so about $268.00 per month. Good luck with that.

200,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

200. u may get a room in apartment with other people. but it will not be that much different than living with your brother

• Stoo

33% of your income, which is about $267. That's nothing that exists in my city for sure.

market rate....unless you are on subsidized housing such as section 8, then you pay 30% of your income. that would be 240/month.

you really need to write out a budget, it will be very difficult, you will have to do without things like cable/internet, have a limited phone plan

• R P

In the US, the industry standard is 3x the rent for income. So since you make $800 per month, you can qualify for rent of  approx $265 per month.

depends on if you get low income housing or not, i get low income housing and get almost that and my rent is around $200