Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

Why does wifi direct still require a router?

Why was wifi direct invented if it still requires both devices to be on a network? You still gotta drag a network with you so there is absolutely no purpose in having it direct. It's like saying "sure, ride you're bike to work but the van has to ride right beside you the whole way"...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    2 months ago

if youxre using a router, it isn't wifi direct.

whoever told you it was is mistaken.

what model is the device you are trying to connect to, and what device are you trying to connect with? wifi direct doesn't work with phones and tablets unless the device supports it, and almost always requires an app.

you have to follow the directions given by your device.

• 2 months agoReport

The wifi direct option until it is on a network.  Then direct is an option.  And once out of router range, direct is grayed out again.  

• Joe
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Wi-Fi Direct does not require a router.

f you can't get it to work, you're doing it wrong, or your equipment does not support it.

• 2 months agoReport

It supports it when I am near the router.  It accepts the connection and when I drive away, the wifi direct option disappears.

• 2 months ago

cause it helps keep the wifi going

• 2 months agoReport

So...  It's not direct.  Why do they call it direct?

• 2 months ago

By definition... wifi direct DOES NOT require a router!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct

It does require you to know how to use it.  You connect to the device directly when wifi direct it used. The device will show as an access point (just like your router will).

SO re-read the directions or you don't have a wifi direct unit, or it isn't setup to use wifi direct.  Here are HP's setup instructions (they work very similar to any other direct connects) https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04577030

Now while you are "on the road" not all devices will have WiFi direct setup!  if it is your own remote device that you are attempting to connect then something isn't working correctly.

• ...Show all comments
    • That's because a router looks exactly like a Wi-Fi direct device. When you move out of range, if you don't have any other devices configured to serve as an access point, then it would be grayed out. Because it's not available.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

WIFI does not Magically appear out of thin air.   All WIFI Signals originate from a WIFI ROUTER.  No matter where you are,  At home or in a public place there will be a router somewhere that is transmitting a WIFI Signal.

• 2 months agoReport

Direct...  Meaning direct.  From computer to printer.  Where does a middleman fit in that equation?

• 2 months ago

You have to use  a router  to access outer world in network. 

• 2 months agoReport

Direct from computer to printer...  Where does outside world fit in that equation?

• 2 months ago

There are units you can buy that have the modem ( which brings the signal to the site, usually wired) and the router (which broadcasts the signal thru the air to your wireless devices.). If you are in a location where you can pick up wifi (from THEIR router) then you know that it was first served to that site they THEIR modem. I also own several extenders for within my home and studios, and another I travel with for signal capture, security, and speed increase in a dedicated channel, so to speak. Dies this help - or do you need to tweak your question, because I misunderstood?

• ...Show all comments
    • Mamianka
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

WiFi DIRECT is a poor choice of title.  Once you are away from ANY WiFi router - your house, MacDonalds, Starbucks, any free municipal Wifi, etc. - you have NO CONNECTION. It is like getting no phone service in the deepest forest.  Wifi is NOT everywhere - so you lose connectivity.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

cause its still wifi

• 2 months agoReport

That's not an answer.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.